Summer Associate Billables Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate Billables

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Is it normal to have a minimum billable requirement as a SA? Also, how many billables do people normally get per day as an SA? I am told I need to bill well over 100 a month - is this normal? My billing is low because I'm learning as I go and I'm nervous because I can't bill for a lot of work I do to get caught up on stuff/learn things

cavalier1138

Re: Summer Associate Billables

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:10 pm

That's not normal at all, especially because there's no way in hell the firm is billing your work to the client.

Are you sure they're calculating your billables the same way they would for a junior associate? As in, they're not letting you count any of your training, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:13 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:That's not normal at all, especially because there's no way in hell the firm is billing your work to the client.

Are you sure they're calculating your billables the same way they would for a junior associate? As in, they're not letting you count any of your training, etc.?

They are billing the clients for my work, which is why I can't bill for training - note: this isn't a biglaw job.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:That's not normal at all, especially because there's no way in hell the firm is billing your work to the client.

They are billing the clients for my work, which is why I can't bill for training - note: this isn't a biglaw job.
Oh, then I have no idea what's standard practice for firms of whatever-type-of-firm-you're-at. But in case you're under-reporting you're billables because you think you're taking too long: don't. Report the actual time you spend working on stuff, and let the managing attorneys cut hours on the bill accordingly.

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm curious how they present that on statements to clients. How big is the firm?
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:24 pm

There's around 50 attorneys

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:35 pm

[Not OP] Some SA billables do go out, depends on the circumstances and the client. For example, on one litigation matter my firm handled, we came to an agreement with the client to allow us to bill them SA time on what amounted to a separate contingency (i.e., if we win they pay the SA billables, if we lose the SA billables are excluded but the rest stand).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to clarify poster is NOT OP. -QContinuum

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:15 pm

My advice is to fully account for your time, most likely by billing the full amount of time you spend on a matter to that matter. If for some reason you are doing work that you think cannot be fairly attributed to your work on a billable matter, then you should record the amount of time you spend on that work in the timekeeping system for the relevant non-billable matter. In no event should you be working and not have your work-time reflected in your time entries.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:20 pm

I wanted to assure you that you shouldn't be worrying about billables, but I suddenly realized that I'm in an undesirable place at my firm right now because I didn't do enough work as a summer. You may not be billing a great deal, but you should certainly try to do as much as you can, even if we're talking marketing or pro bono.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm curious how they present that on statements to clients. How big is the firm?
Probably as a law clerk or paralegal-sounding position. When I worked at a small firm during law school (much smaller than op’s), my work was billed out as a law clerk (hours were cut significantly, and there was no billable expectation whatsoever).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:55 am

My V10 bills out most SA work to clients. The rate is (relatively) low but they are generally paying it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal to have a minimum billable requirement as a SA? Also, how many billables do people normally get per day as an SA? I am told I need to bill well over 100 a month - is this normal? My billing is low because I'm learning as I go and I'm nervous because I can't bill for a lot of work I do to get caught up on stuff/learn things
I’m on the summer committee at my V10, I can assure you that we don’t look at billable hours (we’re more concerned with trying to source enough work on our end).

biglaw_advice

New

Post by biglaw_advice » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm also on my biglaw firm's recruitment committee that evaluates summer associates - we never look at billables. I do look to see they have worked on a good amount of projects, i.e. they don't just have one big assignment that has taken up all of their time. Even then, we recommend they diversify their experience over the rest of the summer. In other words, it's not the billables I care about but the fact they are trying different areas of law and getting a good flavor of what our firm has to offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:47 pm

Sounds like a bad place.

yodamiked

Bronze

Post by yodamiked » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:29 am

If you’re already stressing out as a SA about billable hours, then I would run if you literally have any other option. :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:40 am

I "billed" about 20 hours a week, which includes summer CLEs, training programs, etc. Apparently, that was even above average at my firm.

For what it's worth, every assignment done by a summer associate, is either completely re-done by a first year or concurrently done by a first year. Would worry much more about showing up, being on time, responding to emails, etc.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 am

biglaw_advice wrote:I'm also on my biglaw firm's recruitment committee that evaluates summer associates - we never look at billables. I do look to see they have worked on a good amount of projects, i.e. they don't just have one big assignment that has taken up all of their time. Even then, we recommend they diversify their experience over the rest of the summer. In other words, it's not the billables I care about but the fact they are trying different areas of law and getting a good flavor of what our firm has to offer.
I've been recommending this to the summers. I didn't do this and got fucked when it came time for practice group assignments.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I "billed" about 20 hours a week, which includes summer CLEs, training programs, etc. Apparently, that was even above average at my firm.

For what it's worth, every assignment done by a summer associate, is either completely re-done by a first year or concurrently done by a first year. Would worry much more about showing up, being on time, responding to emails, etc.
See the problem is that I was told I had to bill well north of 100 billables each month - I manage around 20/25 a week right now. I guess I was just more curious about how common it is to be told to meet a certain minimum this early on since we’re only SAs.

Also, I don’t mind billables - I just don’t like that I can’t bill for a lot right now (and was explicitly told I can’t bill for a lot of the things we need to learn just to complete a task) and I’m just worried I’m working a lot of hours compared to billables rn. I’m sure it gets easier once you “know” how to do stuff. The learning curve is super steep, which I assume is what most 1st year associates feel. I guess I just expected to “learn” this summer more than focus on the sheer amount of billables since I can’t bill for learning.

yodamiked

Bronze

Post by yodamiked » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:50 am

EDIT - Apologies, didn't mean to post as anon
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I "billed" about 20 hours a week, which includes summer CLEs, training programs, etc. Apparently, that was even above average at my firm.

See the problem is that I was told I had to bill well north of 100 billables each month - I manage around 20/25 a week right now. I guess I was just more curious about how common it is to be told to meet a certain minimum this early on since we’re only SAs.

Also, I don’t mind billables - I just don’t like that I can’t bill for a lot right now (and was explicitly told I can’t bill for a lot of the things we need to learn just to complete a task) and I’m just worried I’m working a lot of hours compared to billables rn. I’m sure it gets easier once you “know” how to do stuff. The learning curve is super steep, which I assume is what most 1st year associates feel. I guess I just expected to “learn” this summer more than focus on the sheer amount of billables since I can’t bill for learning.
Understood, but even as a first, second or third year, you often have to do a lot of background learning to accomplish a task. Pretty sure every deal I've been on has had some aspect that required "learning how to do it" first, before actually being able to do it. That doesn't go away as your career progresses, just what you have to learn changes. I would find it somewhat concerning that the firm doesn't allow you to bill for that.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: De-anoned at poster's request.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:46 am

At the two firms I summered at, if partners felt the “learning” was getting out of hand or that client protested about extended hours, partners would either negotiate a lower rate for those hours or have the associate bill to an internal code not billed to client but is creditable as billable internally.

I don’t think it’s quite kosher to not give credit for learning on the job at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”