Entertainment Boutique vs. General Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Entertainment Boutique vs. General Big Law

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2019 3:22 am

I am pretty torn between offers from two firms for litigation. One is big law (~V70-80) and the other is an entertainment boutique. My goal has always been to work in house for a movie studio/entertainment company, so I imagined my path would be big law entertainment group --> in-house. However, like many plans, they don't go according to plan. I didn't get a big law 2L SA so instead I clerked after 3L.

While the entertainment boutique would put me on the path I want more directly, if I do so, I will possibly never have big law on my resume which I know is heavily favored by some major film studios. However, the big law firm I have an offer from does very limited IP litigation which I could spin off as entertainment. So while I would pick up big law on my resume finally (and pay off loans more easily), it might be even harder coming from the big law firm.

So, I'm leaning towards the boutique since, even though it doesn't pay as well and I would have a harder time paying off my loans, it is more directly on my path and there still is a possibility i suppose of lateraling into a big law entertainment group—and likely moreso than a general lit big law group (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Any thoughts?

beeoBoop

New

Re: Entertainment Boutique vs. General Big Law

Post by beeoBoop » Sat May 25, 2019 5:12 am

This probably depends heavily on the reputation of the boutique. If it's a respected boutique then it may make sense to do that.

From a lateraling perspective, i don't think there's necessarily more value in doing entertainment at a boutique as opposed to big law (aside from some the fact that you may be more interested in it). Just my 2 cents

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2019 8:54 am

beeoBoop wrote:This probably depends heavily on the reputation of the boutique. If it's a respected boutique then it may make sense to do that.

From a lateraling perspective, i don't think there's necessarily more value in doing entertainment at a boutique as opposed to big law (aside from some the fact that you may be more interested in it). Just my 2 cents
You’re right, I should clarify the boutique is great (think band 1 chambers regional, us news tier 1 nationally). Which is what makes it hard for me.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sat May 25, 2019 2:14 pm

If it's that good of a boutique I couldn't imagine it pays that much less than market? Or is that much less prestigious than a v80 firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Wubbles wrote:If it's that good of a boutique I couldn't imagine it pays that much less than market? Or is that much less prestigious than a v80 firm?
Well, the pay isn't too far off first year (around $20K), but in future years it will not match big law lockstep which is the main issue. I would intend on staying at the boutique for about 3-4 years then moving over, but I will have cleared far less of my loans than if I got the 3rd and 4th year Big law salaries.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2019 4:36 pm

This isn’t directly on point but I thought I’d offer some advice. I worked at a small firm and a biglaw firm before leaving private practice. My experience was that both firms worked me equally as hard, but the biglaw firm paid significantly more. I hated law firm life, but it hurt a lot less when I was making more money. Another benefit was that the name brand of the biglaw firm is likely what got me into the feds.

You’ve gotta do what you’re most comfortable with, but if I were you’d I’d probably take the big firm.

lawfan2012

New

Post by lawfan2012 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hated law firm life, but it hurt a lot less when I was making more money. Another benefit was that the name brand of the biglaw firm is likely what got me into the feds.

You’ve gotta do what you’re most comfortable with, but if I were you’d I’d probably take the big firm.
This advice is generally sound but here it sounds like OP has a definite goal which is 3-4 years at a firm before moving in-house at a media company. Because of that I think OP should focus on the question of which firm/practice sets them up for that move. I really don’t know the answer but the fact that OP will be doing directly relevant work at the boutique vs. less relevant (or almost irrelevant?) work in big law makes me suspect that the boutique is the right answer even with the money difference.

OP, do you have contacts (or contacts of contacts) that you can ask about this? I really think that is the question to focus on if your goal is going in-house after 3-4 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”