Summer Associate Prospects for a 3.64 GPA at a T40 School Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate Prospects for a 3.64 GPA at a T40 School

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm a rising 2L at William and Mary law. Here's my background. Final grades just came in, and I have a 3.64 cumulative GPA. Class rankings haven't been released yet, but it's unlikely that I'll be in the top 10%. More likely I'll be in the top 15-20%. Before coming to law school I worked as a paralegal at a big law firm in DC. This summer I'll be interning for a federal judge. I also made the moot court team. I want to work in biglaw in the DC area. With all this in mind, what are my chances of landing a summer associate position at a big law firm in DC? Honest opinions appreciated.

Silver

Re: Summer Associate Prospects for a 3.64 GPA at a T40 School

Post by 2013 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:56 pm

You have a decent shot at biglaw (and other firms that pay near market), but probably none of the top firms in DC. From what I’ve seen, most of the kids at the most elite firms were summa cum laude at W&M. OCS should have a list of median GPAs at firms for OCI.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

I agree that you definitely can't go all-in on DC firms. Your grades should give you a reasonable shot at a big firm, but you'll want to bid smartly and include a number of NY firms, especially ones that you might consider less prestigious or competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 pm

"You have a decent shot at biglaw (and other firms that pay near market), but probably none of the top firms in DC."

Thank you for your response. I was under the impression that all biglaw firms are the most elite/top law firms in a given city like DC. Is this not this case? What are the pay differences between the elite biglaw firms and non-elite biglaw firms?

Thanks!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"You have a decent shot at biglaw (and other firms that pay near market), but probably none of the top firms in DC."

Thank you for your response. I was under the impression that all biglaw firms are the most elite/top law firms in a given city like DC. Is this not this case? What are the pay differences between the elite biglaw firms and non-elite biglaw firms?

Thanks!
Only like 100 or so big firms (and the elite litigation boutiques) pay the full NY market salary and bonus. Firms not HQ’d in a major market usually do not pay market after the first year. For example, the only philly firms that pay market are Dechert and Morgan Lewis.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”