Break into Restructuring/Insolvency Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chirish2

New

Break into Restructuring/Insolvency

Post by chirish2 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 pm

Hey everyone,

Rising 3L at a Midwest T50 looking to go into restructuring/insolvency. Top 25% in class rank. Unfortunately struck out at OCI and currently working PI this summer with the same 1L firm with an arrangement that provides flexibility to seek something else. I externed in BK court this past spring and will return in the fall for another semester. None of the restructuring boutiques in my area are hiring.

Is my only hope at this point to apply for a clerkship?

Anonymous User

Re: Break into Restructuring/Insolvency

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2019 11:54 am

Mass mail NY firms. This summer, pivot to something bk oriented asap (judges, RA for bk prof, UST, etc.). If NY firms don't bite, apply for clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2019 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mass mail NY firms. This summer, pivot to something bk oriented asap (judges, RA for bk prof, UST, etc.). If NY firms don't bite, apply for clerkship.
That sounds great, thanks! I forgot to mention that I'm also a research assistant to a professor regarding cross-border insolvency issues. I should start the mass mailing process later in the summer, correct?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mass mail NY firms. This summer, pivot to something bk oriented asap (judges, RA for bk prof, UST, etc.). If NY firms don't bite, apply for clerkship.
That sounds great, thanks! I forgot to mention that I'm also a research assistant to a professor regarding cross-border insolvency issues. I should start the mass mailing process later in the summer, correct?
Since you're coming in Fall 2020, yeah its a bit early. Maybe closer to when firms give SAs offer. Try to "get in" with the prof and judge, they may have firm contacts even in NY from ABI, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 pm

Mail Weil/KE and other NY BK firms—we’re very busy and actively looking for people. Short of that, clerkship in Delaware or SDNY (or EDNY).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”