Tips on applying/searching for post-grad position during 2L summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tips on applying/searching for post-grad position during 2L summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2019 12:23 am

Hi all, hoping to pick your brain about this. I'm a rising 3L at a T25. Working this summer as a law clerk in a small firm in my school's market - I worked here last summer as well and during the school year part-time. I plan on moving back to my home state after graduation. I worked as a paralegal for ~2 years prior to law school at an Amlaw 100 firm in a sort of niche practice area, and the firm I currently work at is devoted to that practice. A good friend of mine/former colleague from before law school is working as a senior paralegal at another Amlaw firm in the state and told me that the practice group is growing pretty fast. I'm very interested in the firm - I took a look at their job listings and they're hiring pretty aggressively, with most of the positions asking for ~2 years of experience. Of course I'm not yet an attorney, but by the time I graduate I'll have ~3 years of substantive experience in this practice area, but I'm unsure of how to proceed since I'm A. not barred yet and B. not even graduated. tbh my grades are kind of trash (1L was pretty rough for me; my 2L grades were bounds better) but I do have all As in the classes related to that practice. TiA!

tl;dr when do you start putting out feelers for post-grad jobs, thanks yall

Silver

Re: Tips on applying/searching for post-grad position during 2L summer?

Post by 2013 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:09 am

You shouldn’t be focusing on amlaw 100 firms if your grades are “trash” at a t25 school.

That aside, do you go back to your home market often? If so, try to set up coffee/informational interviews with people.

It is highly unlikely that you’ll be considered for a job that requires 2+ years (which usually means 2+ years post-law school), but maybe they are struggling to fill the spots and will consider a 3L.

But as I mentioned previously, you need to start focusing on any firm/law-related employment and not just amlaw 100 firms.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”