Question answered Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question answered

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanks for the advice
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barrred

Bronze

Re: Background check question

Post by Barrred » Tue May 21, 2019 7:58 pm

If your "background check" is a security clearance, you will have to fill out an SF-86 form. The only question that I can think of that would potentially require you to disclose that incident is 13A.6, which asks "For this employment, in the last seven (7) years have you received a written warning, been officially reprimanded, suspended, or disciplined for misconduct in the workplace, such as a violation of security policy?"

If I were you, I'd ask HR if your incident was documented in your personnel file and/or constituted an official reprimand. If HR says yes to either, I would disclose it in response to this question. If HR says no, however, I would NOT disclose it. A big mistake people make in the background check process is oversharing. You should answer the questions that are asked of you honestly and accurately, but you should not offer up information not specifically responsive to the questions asked, unless you are prompted to do so. Its possible that this will come up during your investigation, in which case you should explain it succinctly and matter-of-fact-ly, just like you did here.

If your background check is not a security clearance, but rather just a general pre-employment check, you likely will not have to fill out any such forms, and I would definitely not affirmatively disclose the incident unless specifically prompted to do so during the course of the check.

Even if you do have to report it, this should not be an issue unless there is a pattern of this sort of behavior. Agencies take a "whole person" approach to security/suitability determinations. Just be upfront and honest about it, and you'll be fine.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”