3-5 years experience . . . what mean? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3-5 years experience . . . what mean?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 19, 2019 3:06 pm

If a posting calls for 3-5 years of experience, are firms looking for 3rd to 5th year associates or 4th to 6th year associates?

For example, I can be a 3rd year but have only 2.3 years of experience. I can be a 6th year and have 5.5 full years of experience. Is that beyond the scope of the experience they're looking for?

Anonymous User

Re: 3-5 years experience . . . what mean?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 19, 2019 3:38 pm

4th-6th years. I tried as a third year and had 0 luck. This year, I tried again for the 3-5 years exp and have had much better luck. I also tried for a few 5-7 years experience and have 0 luck.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Practically speaking, if you're close to the ranges and think you have the substantive experience to back it - I wouldn't worry about these nuances and just apply anyways.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Just apply and don't worry about a technicality. What's the worst that can happen?

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Tue May 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a posting calls for 3-5 years of experience, are firms looking for 3rd to 5th year associates or 4th to 6th year associates?

For example, I can be a 3rd year but have only 2.3 years of experience. I can be a 6th year and have 5.5 full years of experience. Is that beyond the scope of the experience they're looking for?
Only a lawyer could ask this question with a straight face.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 pm

BeeTeeZ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If a posting calls for 3-5 years of experience, are firms looking for 3rd to 5th year associates or 4th to 6th year associates?

Only a lawyer could ask this question with a straight face.
It’s not that bad of a question. Many firms post openings with years of experience requirements even though they use the X year associate convention. Why not be consistent?

miskellyjohnson

New

Post by miskellyjohnson » Tue May 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Nothing magical happens in the few months between the time you have 2.7 years experience and the time you have 3.1 years experience. If you are close to the experience requirement, you send in your resume and if they are interested they call you. You dont need to parse the meaning of every word someone haphazardly wrote in a job description.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”