2L Grade Drop and BigLaw return offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
prospectivelawyer

New

2L Grade Drop and BigLaw return offer

Post by prospectivelawyer » Sat May 18, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi everyone, I realize this might be a topic that's been discussed on here quite a bit, but I can't quite find an exact answer for what I'm wondering, so please bear with me.

I'm currently summering at a biglaw firm in NYC and I have a GPA that is well below median at a T14. I am worried about getting a couple Cs or even an F from my spring semester (grades are not out yet), and I'm wondering if this will affect my return offer at the firm.

Also, does anyone know if there's a list posted anywhere of firms that ask for 2L grades?

Thank you in advance!

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Re: 2L Grade Drop and BigLaw return offer

Post by MaxMcMann » Sat May 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Can’t help, but out of curiosity how did you get the SA?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:02 pm

If you got the SA with below-median grades, there's no reason that should be a problem.

Also, I highly doubt you got an F. Check your school's grading policy, but my understanding is that all T13 schools require professors to individually justify F grades before they'll actually put it on your transcript. So unless you literally just spent the entire exam period drawing a dick out of X's on the page, you'll be fine.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:If you got the SA with below-median grades, there's no reason that should be a problem.
This x1000. OP, your firm hired you not caring about your grades. (If they cared, they wouldn't have hired you.) They know grades aren't your strong suit, as you were well below median as a 1L. They won't care that you'll still be well below median, so long as you remain on track to graduate on time.

I would not worry overmuch about getting an F unless, as cavalier notes, you did something truly ridiculous on the final, like ridiculous of the "ANSWER TO QUESTION 1: PROF, YOU SUCK" level. T14s don't give Fs, pretty much. They rarely even give Cs, generally it's only a few profs who will do it, while others will give B-s even to folks they admit "should" have gotten Cs.

Realistically the worst grades you'll probably end up with are B-s.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 19, 2019 10:40 am

I know that this is very uncommon, but this did happen to a classmate and friend of mine. He got the SA from OCI after a 1L of basically median grades, then his 2L grades took a nosedive - no Fs on the transcript, but significantly below median. Our school does grading a bit unusually but he went from maybe 45th percentile 1L grades to what I would guess 10th-15th percentile 2L grades.

In my opinion, his firm seemed more interested in 2L grades than most because they reached out in the spring asking to update them with Fall 2L grades, and then reached out again to the SAs again during their summer to ask for Spring 2L grades. That didn't happen with the firm I was at and I don't think it usually does, but I could be wrong. My firm only got Fall 2L grades before making real associate offers.

Anyway, he got no offered and was told it was because of his grades even though his work was totally fine as a summer. He pounded the pavement and got something through 3L OCI. Happy ending to the story.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun May 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In my opinion, his firm seemed more interested in 2L grades than most because they reached out in the spring asking to update them with Fall 2L grades, and then reached out again to the SAs again during their summer to ask for Spring 2L grades. That didn't happen with the firm I was at and I don't think it usually does, but I could be wrong. My firm only got Fall 2L grades before making real associate offers.

Anyway, he got no offered and was told it was because of his grades even though his work was totally fine as a summer. He pounded the pavement and got something through 3L OCI. Happy ending to the story.
Wow. Was this at a traditionally grade-selective firm? Seems odd and unusual for a firm willing to hire down to median (or below) to care so much about 2L grades. When I summered, we were asked to send in updated transcripts reflecting our 2L grades but it seemed like a mere formality to ensure we didn't drop out of law school/were still on track to graduate. I could be wrong but I never got the impression that any attorneys ever reviewed those updated transcripts - certainly I never had the impression any attorneys knew a thing about my 2L grades.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Mon May 20, 2019 9:28 am

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In my opinion, his firm seemed more interested in 2L grades than most because they reached out in the spring asking to update them with Fall 2L grades, and then reached out again to the SAs again during their summer to ask for Spring 2L grades. That didn't happen with the firm I was at and I don't think it usually does, but I could be wrong. My firm only got Fall 2L grades before making real associate offers.

Wow. Was this at a traditionally grade-selective firm? Seems odd and unusual for a firm willing to hire down to median (or below) to care so much about 2L grades. When I summered, we were asked to send in updated transcripts reflecting our 2L grades but it seemed like a mere formality to ensure we didn't drop out of law school/were still on track to graduate. I could be wrong but I never got the impression that any attorneys ever reviewed those updated transcripts - certainly I never had the impression any attorneys knew a thing about my 2L grades.
Yeah, it almost sound like this firm was looking for a reason not to hire at least one or a couple SAs.... Maybe they knew they overaccepted for the summer and needed to cut some dead weight? But even then, if they want to stay competitive reputation-wise from a recruiting standpoint, I would think they'd swallow the sub-par grades and just hire everyone...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 06, 2022 1:16 am

JHP wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:28 am
QContinuum wrote:

Yeah, it almost sound like this firm was looking for a reason not to hire at least one or a couple SAs.... Maybe they knew they overaccepted for the summer and needed to cut some dead weight? But even then, if they want to stay competitive reputation-wise from a recruiting standpoint, I would think they'd swallow the sub-par grades and just hire everyone...
Do you know the name of the firm? Or could you give some hints?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 06, 2022 7:43 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Going from ~top 45% to bottom 10% is a steep drop. Might not care about a 3.1 at MVPB but a 2.5, etc looks pretty bad, especially because 2L/3L grades tend to go up. Also makes it harder to unload the candidate in lateral moves—below median is fine but bottom of the class is typically something you want to avoid.

This is why firms have that “we expect you to roughly maintain performance” language that people freak out over, it’s not to cover going from a 3.7 to a 3.4, it’s to cover the wheels coming off.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”