Why do firms ask for references from CURRENT firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why do firms ask for references from CURRENT firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2019 10:39 am

I am lateraling to another firm and the new firm requested a reference from my current/most recent firm. My relationship with my firm isn’t good (hostile, even), which is why I’ve been trying to leave. I don’t know if requesting a reference to lateral will be taken well.

I’ve tried to dodge this, but the firm is unrelenting. I’ve offered five other references.

Has anyone else been in this position? How did you resolve it?

Aeroplane

Bronze

Re: Why do firms ask for references from CURRENT firm?

Post by Aeroplane » Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 am

I haven't been in this position, but have a few thoughts.

Is there really not one single attorney at your firm who would give you a positive reference? If the reference doesn't have to be a partner, are there counsels, principals, or senior associates who could give you one? Did you do any pro bono work? Will the pro bono coordinator attorney give you a reference?

If the firm is hostile towards you, they may actually want you to leave and be happier than you think to ease your way out. Is this a possibility? If so, your request may be met much more positively than you think and you could consider having an open conversation about the reference with a partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2019 11:03 am

The firm officially has a policy that doesn’t allow current attorneys to provide references aside from confirming dates of employment. It’s a small group and I honestly doubt any of the three attorneys I’ve worked for would go against firm policy to provide a positive reference.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:14 am

When I lateraled my previous firm also had a policy of only confirming dates of employment and not saying anything else. I still used a partner as a reference, my new firm called, the partner confirmed my dates of employment, and it was fine. I think firms are pretty aware that a lot of firms have this policy and if not, your current partner will likely explain on the phone that all they can do is comment on your dates of employment because its firm policy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”