Messaging a Partner on Linkedin Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Hey guys, I am in a strange situation. A couple of months back, a partner in another firm (who I've never met, don't know, etc.) added me on Linkedin after browsing my profile. Fast forward to now - I applied to an opening in this partner's office and messaged him my application, asking him if he could help me get a chance to talk with the group I applied for (he's a partner in a different group, same firm and same office).

He replied thank you for sharing and I'll get back to you. Now, it has been two weeks. I'm not sure how to remind him of this - I don't want to come across too pushy (I'm obviously not entitled to his help or attention) but I do think that if he somehow were to help me, it could move my application along. How should I proceed? Should I wait a bit more?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Post by LSATWiz.com » Thu May 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, I am in a strange situation. A couple of months back, a partner in another firm (who I've never met, don't know, etc.) added me on Linkedin after browsing my profile. Fast forward to now - I applied to an opening in this partner's office and messaged him my application, asking him if he could help me get a chance to talk with the group I applied for (he's a partner in a different group, same firm and same office).

He replied thank you for sharing and I'll get back to you. Now, it has been two weeks. I'm not sure how to remind him of this - I don't want to come across too pushy (I'm obviously not entitled to his help or attention) but I do think that if he somehow were to help me, it could move my application along. How should I proceed? Should I wait a bit more?
That sounds pushy, seeing as you've never met. Others may have better insight though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 5:08 pm

LSATWiz.com wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, I am in a strange situation. A couple of months back, a partner in another firm (who I've never met, don't know, etc.) added me on Linkedin after browsing my profile. Fast forward to now - I applied to an opening in this partner's office and messaged him my application, asking him if he could help me get a chance to talk with the group I applied for (he's a partner in a different group, same firm and same office).

That sounds pushy, seeing as you've never met. Others may have better insight though.
Yeah, that's why I haven't done anything yet. I think the first message was already borderline too pushy and I don't think I'm entitled to his help or attention. So then do you think I should leave it be?

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:07 pm

Just send him a gentle reminder (noting you thank him for his time etc...) I think in this situation the upside for you is so high that any potential annoyance to him would be well outweighed (especially if he added you on linkedin first). The upside is you get a job, the downside is a stranger you don't know thinks "ugh I can't believe this this ass**** followed up with me!) I see partners failing to get back to CLIENTS and clients following up; he likely just got busy and there is no shame in following up if he initially replied to you.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 pm

2 weeks seems fine, especially if that person has been responsive previously. I'm sure it's just sitting in a pile somewhere but think it's reasonable to reiterate interest after two weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 6:28 pm

How can I phrase the response? I know the odds are slim but it's possible that he's already helped move my application along. In which case, if I ask I might seem like I'm calling him out after he helped. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 7:38 pm

"Hi BLAH, hope you are well! Just wanted to follow up on my prior message and see if I can provide you with any other information regarding my candidacy. Have a great week!"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 7:39 pm

I sent the message - I'll update how it goes, in case anyone finds my thread useful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I sent the message - I'll update how it goes, in case anyone finds my thread useful.
How did it go?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I sent the message - I'll update how it goes, in case anyone finds my thread useful.
How did it go?!
He saw the message and didn't reply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Wow, how sad. I’m sorry. Tough world. Planning on sending out some cold emails myself. I hope I get replies to them. :(

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:42 pm

You sure it wasn't a fake account made to scrape info?

biglaw_advice

New

Post by biglaw_advice » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How did it go?!
He saw the message and didn't reply.
I think you did the right thing though - always good to reach out on the off chance that the partner responds with some good news. Pre-OCI rejection is the name of the game, better to try anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”