SV Firms for Technology Transactions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SV Firms for Technology Transactions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi folks. Trying to winnow down lateral possibilities and wanted to get a sense of the strength and cultures of TTG practices at the firms below. Any and all information will be very appreciated.

Mofo
WSGR
Fenwick
Goodwin
Perkins

Anonymous User

Re: SV Firms for Technology Transactions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2019 11:55 pm

I'd focus on the middle three. I used to work at WSGR and that group is fantastic, with fantastic exit opps. This is a very highly-in-demand practice area, and if you have the background for it, GO FOR IT. You'll do great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 1:26 am

Do you already have offers at these five? Otherwise, why not consider Cooley and Gunderson?

You can't go wrong with either Fenwick, MoFo, or WSGR. WSGR has had some significant partner departures and has a tough reputation on the TTG side. Whether it's true or not, why risk it when you have Fenwick and MoFo on the table?

(Anon because I work at a SV firm and am familiar with the reputation of the major players, including in TTG.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd focus on the middle three. I used to work at WSGR and that group is fantastic, with fantastic exit opps. This is a very highly-in-demand practice area, and if you have the background for it, GO FOR IT. You'll do great.

OP here. Got a great feel for WSGR's TTG team, so glad to hear it. Interesting that you pointed out the middle 3. Do you have any particular info on Fenwick or Goodwin's TTG groups?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd focus on the middle three. I used to work at WSGR and that group is fantastic, with fantastic exit opps. This is a very highly-in-demand practice area, and if you have the background for it, GO FOR IT. You'll do great.

How was your WSGR experience? Is it still the sweatshop that TLS says it is? My impression is that that may no longer be the case, but would be interested to hear from somebody who worked there instead of the TLS rumor mill.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2019 6:14 pm

Does anyone know which of these groups does the most strategic licensing / partnerships work originating from the TTG group, rather than just IP deal support for M&A, securities work and VC financings? Preferably more on the technology / content side rather than life sci, though obviously there's a ton of strategic licensing in life sci.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2019 6:57 pm

I'm familiar with the OCI hiring at the WCFG SV firms. Assuming you're a summer, you generally can't choose any of these firms thinking that you'll do TTG. The allocations happen after the summer ends.

As far as licensing goes, all four of those firms will give you substantive experience. It's the tech trans shops here that aren't WCFG, maybe other than Goodwin + Orrick, where you do mostly deal support.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Goodwin TTG is about half deal support, half licensing/commercial agreements.

A couple other dimensions of this to consider: what kind of clients do you want to work with, and what kind of deals are you interested in (or willing to) support? Goodwin and Gunderson both have a lot of startup and VC clients, and do a lot of financings as a result. My impression is MoFo and WSGR have more mature company clients, and do more M&A type deals.

I mention deal work because I think it's hard to get away from, even if your main interest is licensing. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the other firms' groups can correct me. Personally, I strongly prefer financings to M&A deals, especially PE M&A deals. They're quicker, easier, and more cooperative. But some people like doing marquee M&A so...

Regarding clients, mature clients may mean more complex work, but will also mean you have less direct involvement. Smaller clients may mean tons of involvement in drafting commercial/licensing agreements early on, but it can be somewhat more rote.

I know a lot less about Perkins and Fenwick, other than the folks I know at Perkins like it, and the person I knew at Fenwick didn't.

Return to “Legal Employment�