Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

For transactional associates, how long did it take conflicts after accepting the offer?

Less than one week
13%
One week
25%
Two weeks
33%
Three weeks
16%
One month
5%
Greater than one month
7%

Total votes: 55

Anonymous User

Re: Transactional Associates - Conflicts Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms usually reach out with conflicts questions? I'm going into my third week and haven't gotten any follow up.
You could check in with the conflicts department yourself to see how your conflicts check is going/ if they need anything else.
Given that it's been three weeks of radio silence, I think you'd be perfectly justified in politely following up to ask for a status update. Sometimes a gentle nudge can help speed things up.

Followed up last week but nothing yet. Starting to consider getting back on the lateral market again...
That's really strange. Maybe try following up with one of the partners that interviewed you to ask? If they've decided to rescind your offer, the least they could do is let you know, instead of ghosting you during conflicts checks...
That feels like a weird thing to bother a partner about, but I suppose it's a feasible last resort. Is it acceptable/ethical to be interviewing or seeking interviews for backup options while undergoing conflicts?
I’ve been interviewing during the conflicts process because an offer is contingent on it and I do have to have some back-up in case the first offer falls through.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2019 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms usually reach out with conflicts questions? I'm going into my third week and haven't gotten any follow up.
You could check in with the conflicts department yourself to see how your conflicts check is going/ if they need anything else.
Given that it's been three weeks of radio silence, I think you'd be perfectly justified in politely following up to ask for a status update. Sometimes a gentle nudge can help speed things up.

Followed up last week but nothing yet. Starting to consider getting back on the lateral market again...
That's really strange. Maybe try following up with one of the partners that interviewed you to ask? If they've decided to rescind your offer, the least they could do is let you know, instead of ghosting you during conflicts checks...
That feels like a weird thing to bother a partner about, but I suppose it's a feasible last resort. Is it acceptable/ethical to be interviewing or seeking interviews for backup options while undergoing conflicts?
I’ve been interviewing during the conflicts process because an offer is contingent on it and I do have to have some back-up in case the first offer falls through.
I see. What would happen then if you received an even better offer while waiting for conflicts to clear on the first firm? Would you consider taking it or truly relying on it as just a back up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Is it typical for a conflicts department to follow-up?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed May 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it typical for a conflicts department to follow-up?
If they require additional information from you, yes.

They should also respond to a polite status inquiry if it's been a reasonable amount of time (I'd say >2 weeks) with no word from them since the check began.
Anonymous User wrote:That feels like a weird thing to bother a partner about, but I suppose it's a feasible last resort. Is it acceptable/ethical to be interviewing or seeking interviews for backup options while undergoing conflicts?
You indicated that the conflicts department in your case has taken >2 weeks and has failed to respond to your inquiry asking for a status update. I'd try following up again with the conflicts department or your HR contact this week, and if you're still being ghosted, then try emailing a partner. Reasonable partners shouldn't take offense to a single brief email explaining that you want to make sure everything is still on track, because it's been >3 weeks and you haven't heard any updates from the firm, and haven't received any responses to your status inquiries.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 11:32 am

delete

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:51 pm

Has anyone lateralling been asked to have a conflicts review call with the conflicts team before? I was recently asked to have one in a few days. Naturally now I'm in anxiety-ridden, tea-leaves-reading mode, wondering what on earth it could that would be discussed (although the universe of questions could be pretty large).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:22 pm

How thorough are y'all that are transactional associates lateraling in inputting your past matters for conflicts checks? Do you actually take the time to identify everything and list it out or this just include active ones and do they best you can for the others? Has anyone ever had any issues with like the amount of detail they provided?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:22 pm
How thorough are y'all that are transactional associates lateraling in inputting your past matters for conflicts checks? Do you actually take the time to identify everything and list it out or this just include active ones and do they best you can for the others? Has anyone ever had any issues with like the amount of detail they provided?
I think this would just vary a ton by practice. If you're someone whose practice is pretty much one big deal at a time then you could probably list out more detail for all deals, but if you're someone who's done hundreds of deals then you can't realistically list it all. I discussed with one of the conflicts people and settled on something semi-reasonable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”