Jobs in Houston - Websites Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
donexyz

New

Jobs in Houston - Websites

Post by donexyz » Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 am

Hi there, I am an llm student and licensed in NY and TX. Looking for an entry level associate position in Houston. I am unable to decide a specific practice area but I am interested in commercial/business litigation, transactional work, business/employment immigration, IPR - Trademarks/CR/Domain names. I understand its too diverse but I need sometime to streamline my practice areas.

Can someone please let me know what are some good websites to look for legal positions in Houston. Currently I am searching on linkedin, TX bar website and Indeed. Are there are websites that I am missing????

nealric

Re: Jobs in Houston - Websites

Post by nealric » Mon May 06, 2019 10:51 am

Don't be over reliant on websites. Spamming the internet with resumes is the worst way to search for legal jobs. You need to get to know as many people as possible as go from there.

donexyz

New

Post by donexyz » Mon May 06, 2019 12:54 pm

nealric wrote:Don't be over reliant on websites. Spamming the internet with resumes is the worst way to search for legal jobs. You need to get to know as many people as possible as go from there.

Thank you. I agree and that's what I have been hearing from others too but I am new to this city and do not know any attorneys out here. Is there a place to search or at least start off for beginners like me. I can't imagine any other way but to attend some CLE classes and meet people.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon May 06, 2019 1:36 pm

donexyz wrote:
nealric wrote:Don't be over reliant on websites. Spamming the internet with resumes is the worst way to search for legal jobs. You need to get to know as many people as possible as go from there.

Thank you. I agree and that's what I have been hearing from others too but I am new to this city and do not know any attorneys out here. Is there a place to search or at least start off for beginners like me. I can't imagine any other way but to attend some CLE classes and meet people.
Mine your connections. Even friends of friends of friends. Anybody who knows Houston lawyers in your targeted practice area. Failing that, look at firm bios- especially alumni of your school. Ask for informational interviews. If you are getting your LLM here, talk to your professors about your job search.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon May 06, 2019 1:39 pm

donexyz wrote:

Mine your connections. Even friends of friends of friends. Anybody who knows Houston lawyers in your targeted practice area. Failing that, look at firm bios- especially alumni of your school. Ask for informational interviews. If you are getting your LLM here, talk to your professors about your job search. You might also check your school's job board. Given your search timeline, you likely aren't a candidate for large institutional jobs (biglaw, big companies, etc.), and the smaller employers you need to target may not even publicize that they are hiring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

donexyz

New

Post by donexyz » Mon May 06, 2019 1:48 pm

nealric wrote:
donexyz wrote:

Mine your connections. Even friends of friends of friends. Anybody who knows Houston lawyers in your targeted practice area. Failing that, look at firm bios- especially alumni of your school. Ask for informational interviews. If you are getting your LLM here, talk to your professors about your job search. You might also check your school's job board. Given your search timeline, you likely aren't a candidate for large institutional jobs (biglaw, big companies, etc.), and the smaller employers you need to target may not even publicize that they are hiring.

Thank you so much for your time. I truly appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Connections have already been discussed so no need for me to repeat.

Can you get reciprocity on symplicity from your law school? Entry positions are often posted on there. I think I may have also used glassdoor.

I am in houston and have lateraled twice. Almost all my interviews have come from the websites you mentioned or from direct applying to company sites.

donexyz

New

Post by donexyz » Mon May 06, 2019 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Connections have already been discussed so no need for me to repeat.

Can you get reciprocity on symplicity from your law school? Entry positions are often posted on there. I think I may have also used glassdoor.

I am in houston and have lateraled twice. Almost all my interviews have come from the websites you mentioned or from direct applying to company sites.

Thats good to know. I completed my LLM in 2007 and recently returned to Houston. I do have symplicity account but never used it. I will check that too. Thank you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 pm

You can check BYU job bank, below is the login info. You can view job postings at texas law schools.
https://www.law2.byu.edu/Career_Services/jobbank
○ username: jrcbcougar
○ password: Notorious RBG
Attorney jobs in USA is another good resource.

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 10:25 pm

donexyz wrote:Thats good to know. I completed my LLM in 2007 and recently returned to Houston. I do have symplicity account but never used it. I will check that too. Thank you
(I'm the quoted anon) - So wait, you did your llm in 2007? And are looking for entry level? Because that will affect how your applications are viewed depending on what you've been doing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
donexyz wrote:Thats good to know. I completed my LLM in 2007 and recently returned to Houston. I do have symplicity account but never used it. I will check that too. Thank you
(I'm the quoted anon) - So wait, you did your llm in 2007? And are looking for entry level? Because that will affect how your applications are viewed depending on what you've been doing.

Yes I am looking at entry level positions. I did a general llm. I left usa and just got back few years ago. Meanwhile I was working in different places in other countries but not USA. So I assume I am more a fit for entry level as I do not know TX laws.

Please any advise is helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You can check BYU job bank, below is the login info. You can view job postings at texas law schools.
https://www.law2.byu.edu/Career_Services/jobbank
○ username: jrcbcougar
○ password: Notorious RBG
Attorney jobs in USA is another good resource.

Best of luck!

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes I am looking at entry level positions. I did a general llm. I left usa and just got back few years ago. Meanwhile I was working in different places in other countries but not USA. So I assume I am more a fit for entry level as I do not know TX laws.

(Same anon) - can you share more about your positions? Entry level may or may not be the right fit... you could be leveraging your experience in a lot of ways. And "knowing Texas law" is not really what decides the level. For instance, in house counsel has ways you don't have to get barred in the jurisdiction you're working in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes I am looking at entry level positions. I did a general llm. I left usa and just got back few years ago. Meanwhile I was working in different places in other countries but not USA. So I assume I am more a fit for entry level as I do not know TX laws.

(Same anon) - can you share more about your positions? Entry level may or may not be the right fit... you could be leveraging your experience in a lot of ways. And "knowing Texas law" is not really what decides the level. For instance, in house counsel has ways you don't have to get barred in the jurisdiction you're working in.
I have worked as a paralegal in an in-house department and worked on international franchise and trademarks work. I worked briefly as a litigation manager at a PI firm prepared briefs and assisted in trial work. I then worked as a lawyer in my home country with a big law doing both transactional and litigation work. Came to USA in 2015 passed NY and then took TX, meanwhile worked with a solo and did some lit work. I really had to take two years off due to my ill health. Yes I have gaps but want to get back now. The solo attorney said I can work with him as and when cases come but cant pay. Honestly need to pay my bills too.

I am wondering if I would have any chances as an in-house? Just wondering where I would be a better fit. I am not interested in big law because I dont think I can put in those hours. But I guess its hard for mid or small firms to take a person like without TX law experience. I am really confused as I have bits of everything but no solid experience in one field.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2019 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I have worked as a paralegal in an in-house department and worked on international franchise and trademarks work. I worked briefly as a litigation manager at a PI firm prepared briefs and assisted in trial work. I then worked as a lawyer in my home country with a big law doing both transactional and litigation work. Came to USA in 2015 passed NY and then took TX, meanwhile worked with a solo and did some lit work. I really had to take two years off due to my ill health. Yes I have gaps but want to get back now. The solo attorney said I can work with him as and when cases come but cant pay. Honestly need to pay my bills too.

I am wondering if I would have any chances as an in-house? Just wondering where I would be a better fit. I am not interested in big law because I dont think I can put in those hours. But I guess its hard for mid or small firms to take a person like without TX law experience. I am really confused as I have bits of everything but no solid experience in one field.
(Same anon) I see pros and cons so you won't be a slam dunk hire, but I don't see why you couldn't land a small or mid place. Might just take longer than for someone conventional. Make sure you can explain your gaps and show off the legal work you've done, US or not. I have no knowledge of how Visa issues could impact this.

Have you looked into contract work? I understand volunteering can be tough but this could be how you can earn money and show you are gaining skills after your gap while still looking for a long term place.

What are you even interested in? With litigation listed in your post, there was a how to become a solo thread on here that had some really great ideas to consider instead of going contract while you look. I personally have received an offer from a place I volunteered for between jobs and some government spots might be able to fit you in as an intern to at least get a little money if you are into that route. If you have an actual career interest this is the sort of "networking" that might work for you, but "I would like a job" wont really get you there. Think about where you want to go.

In house if you find a lit opening sure (and strangely I've been seeing a few lately), but that's more limited by your lack of corporate from what you listed.

donexyz

New

Post by donexyz » Thu May 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I have worked as a paralegal in an in-house department and worked on international franchise and trademarks work. I worked briefly as a litigation manager at a PI firm prepared briefs and assisted in trial work. I then worked as a lawyer in my home country with a big law doing both transactional and litigation work. Came to USA in 2015 passed NY and then took TX, meanwhile worked with a solo and did some lit work. I really had to take two years off due to my ill health. Yes I have gaps but want to get back now. The solo attorney said I can work with him as and when cases come but cant pay. Honestly need to pay my bills too.

(Same anon) I see pros and cons so you won't be a slam dunk hire, but I don't see why you couldn't land a small or mid place. Might just take longer than for someone conventional. Make sure you can explain your gaps and show off the legal work you've done, US or not. I have no knowledge of how Visa issues could impact this.

Have you looked into contract work? I understand volunteering can be tough but this could be how you can earn money and show you are gaining skills after your gap while still looking for a long term place.

What are you even interested in? With litigation listed in your post, there was a how to become a solo thread on here that had some really great ideas to consider instead of going contract while you look. I personally have received an offer from a place I volunteered for between jobs and some government spots might be able to fit you in as an intern to at least get a little money if you are into that route. If you have an actual career interest this is the sort of "networking" that might work for you, but "I would like a job" wont really get you there. Think about where you want to go.

In house if you find a lit opening sure (and strangely I've been seeing a few lately), but that's more limited by your lack of corporate from what you listed.
Thank you so much for your reply. This was like the elephant in the room that I was always trying to avoid. I was scared of picking one area as I was not sure of my chances but it does not make any sense to be jack of all trades and I know it does not work. Currently, my experience is scattered but its high time that I decide my specialization. I have decided on looking for opportunities in corporate transactional work in law firm or in-house though I do not have enough experience in that field. I am going to stick to it until I find my way in. I have done litigation work before but I never liked it much.

Could please let me know what you went by volunteering and how to find these positions. Do you mean volunteer at law firms??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2019 5:16 pm

donexyz wrote: Thank you so much for your reply. This was like the elephant in the room that I was always trying to avoid. I was scared of picking one area as I was not sure of my chances but it does not make any sense to be jack of all trades and I know it does not work. Currently, my experience is scattered but its high time that I decide my specialization. I have decided on looking for opportunities in corporate transactional work in law firm or in-house though I do not have enough experience in that field. I am going to stick to it until I find my way in. I have done litigation work before but I never liked it much.

Could please let me know what you went by volunteering and how to find these positions. Do you mean volunteer at law firms??
(Me again) Hey OP, can I PM you? Some stuff from my recent lateral might be relevant but would be identifying.

Whatever corporate related work you have ever done think about and feature on your resume. Switching from lit can be a bit tricky or slower but it's certainly doable.

I actually volunteered with government doing transactional work before I joined my current firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
donexyz wrote: Thank you so much for your reply. This was like the elephant in the room that I was always trying to avoid. I was scared of picking one area as I was not sure of my chances but it does not make any sense to be jack of all trades and I know it does not work. Currently, my experience is scattered but its high time that I decide my specialization. I have decided on looking for opportunities in corporate transactional work in law firm or in-house though I do not have enough experience in that field. I am going to stick to it until I find my way in. I have done litigation work before but I never liked it much.

(Me again) Hey OP, can I PM you? Some stuff from my recent lateral might be relevant but would be identifying.

Whatever corporate related work you have ever done think about and feature on your resume. Switching from lit can be a bit tricky or slower but it's certainly doable.

I actually volunteered with government doing transactional work before I joined my current firm.

Thank you so much for the info. Thats really helpful and I never thought about it. Please PM me. I personally messaged you too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”