Leaving the law for greener pastures Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bodhicaryavatara

Bronze

Leaving the law for greener pastures

Post by Bodhicaryavatara » Wed May 01, 2019 11:43 am

Hi folks! I had a religious epiphany recently that the practice of law isn't a good fit for my personality type and desired lifestyle; accordingly, I'm working on breaking into quasi-legal/JD Advantage stuff (compliance, policy/advocacy work, human services, nonprofit management, etc.) for 2020 and beyond. I'm looking for something where my JD and legal background would confer a measurable benefit but that does not require bar licensure.

Has anyone else made the transition from legal to JD Advantage careers? How was the adjustment? My concern is that the fact I graduated so recently-in 2017-will raise eyebrows ("why is she suddenly considering nonlegal work? sounds flakey. is she a flight risk who'll jump ship as soon as she finds an attorney job? is she just a lazy bum who burnt out of the law because she couldn't hack it?) How to ameliorate these concerns that prospective nonlegal employers are likely to have about my candidacy?

glitched

Silver

Re: Leaving the law for greener pastures

Post by glitched » Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm

religious epiphany
"And Jesus said, “Woe also to you lawyers! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not lift a finger to ease them. Woe to you!" See Luke, at 11:46-47.

Sorry I don't have answers to your substantive questions. I had a friend that went straight to policy after law school bc he hated his biglaw summer, and he seems happy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2019 5:47 pm

Bodhicaryavatara wrote:Hi folks! I had a religious epiphany recently that the practice of law isn't a good fit for my personality type and desired lifestyle; accordingly, I'm working on breaking into quasi-legal/JD Advantage stuff (compliance, policy/advocacy work, human services, nonprofit management, etc.) for 2020 and beyond. I'm looking for something where my JD and legal background would confer a measurable benefit but that does not require bar licensure.

Has anyone else made the transition from legal to JD Advantage careers? How was the adjustment? My concern is that the fact I graduated so recently-in 2017-will raise eyebrows ("why is she suddenly considering nonlegal work? sounds flakey. is she a flight risk who'll jump ship as soon as she finds an attorney job? is she just a lazy bum who burnt out of the law because she couldn't hack it?) How to ameliorate these concerns that prospective nonlegal employers are likely to have about my candidacy?
Posting this as anonymous because I'm currently looking for a job in this sector and don't want to be identified.

There are openings in human resources where they look for JDs, but licensing is not necessary. I've done a lot of research and informational meetings in this sector. They value JDs for investigation, EEO, and compliance roles. Though, it seems like they value SHRM and experience even more. You'll probably have an advantage as a female because a lot of HR reps are female or under represented minorities, especially at tech companies (entire HR/Recruiting departments look like sororities).

The problem is, pay is very low in the entry level jobs that don't require experience. But once you get into a Management/Director position, pay is in the 6 digits, with great benefits at Fortune 500 companies. A lot of HR people I know for Government leave work at 3pm. It seems like you get to do a lot of employment law and policy type of stuff, without the stress of frequently working with other lawyers, billable hours, contingency cases, or pleasing clients. And you still get the benefits of working at a large company where you meet a lot of people, and you get decent career growth.

Bodhicaryavatara

Bronze

Post by Bodhicaryavatara » Mon May 06, 2019 5:03 pm

glitched wrote:
religious epiphany
"And Jesus said, “Woe also to you lawyers! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not lift a finger to ease them. Woe to you!" See Luke, at 11:46-47.

Sorry I don't have answers to your substantive questions. I had a friend that went straight to policy after law school bc he hated his biglaw summer, and he seems happy.
Cool, what kind of policy work is he doing rn?

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue May 21, 2019 10:43 am

Bodhicaryavatara wrote:
glitched wrote:
religious epiphany

Cool, what kind of policy work is he doing rn?
He was doing something with juvenile justice. He's moved on but I think he liked it.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Tue May 21, 2019 11:37 pm

My guess is urban housing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”