Akin/Paul Weiss Restructuring Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Akin/Paul Weiss Restructuring

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am

What about Kramer Levin? Also, are the top creditor ships (DPW, Milbank) all that different from Kirkland/Weil in terms of quality of life ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Kramer is solid, but they mostly do Committee work. Never tried it, but seems like the worst gig to me, and wouldn't think it is great for exits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Curious about WLRK. I mean it's WLRK, so it's small, the people are smart, they work a lot, get paid a lot, but what sort of creditor work do they do, what are peoples' experiences, etc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:W&C is usually creditor side, frequently representing terrorists or otherwise acting like one, and generally disliked.

Also, to the above poster re: Skadden, my experience has also been exclusively with their Chicago office. Never worked with their NYC office, actually.
Is the work that they do bad or is the group disliked just because of the demeanor of the group's attorneys?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2019 3:31 pm

They typically represent unsecured creditors, who necessarily have to take more aggressive positions if they’d like their claims to be repaid (they’re lower down in the capital structure). The personality of the group reflects the posture of their clients (Thomas Lauria is the head of their group and is known for being pretty aggressive)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 pm

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat May 11, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

beeoBoop

New

Post by beeoBoop » Sat May 11, 2019 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:W&C has certain partners that are reviled in the restructuring community. It's a function of them representing out of money creditors and doing everything they can to get some cents. So its the nature of the role, but said partners also have no qualms lying to judges (and have relationships with judges so they get away with it). Good for clients I'm sure, but personally would not want to be an underlying in that environment.
This is *very* relevant to me. Can you shoot me a PM for more info?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious about WLRK. I mean it's WLRK, so it's small, the people are smart, they work a lot, get paid a lot, but what sort of creditor work do they do, what are peoples' experiences, etc
I don't work at WLRK but we have attorneys who came over from there and i've worked with/across from them. They don't have a traditional bankruptcy practice a la guiding a company through an in-court reorganization. Better to think of them as a special forces finance/securities group. Unlike their peer firms, they don't draw a line between lev fin (e.g., term loans) and securities. They're holistic debt lawyers.

Earlier in their history they used to represent the more usual secured lenders (one of their former partners is why the carve-out is a thing, apparently refused to pay for debtor professionals on a case) but their practice has evolved to become more niche (as traditional bank clients have become more fee sensitive and less creative/opportunistic). See them more often representing opportunistic creditors in complicated capital structures/unique situations. Sometimes see them as co-debtor counsel as special advisors. I've had situations where we represent an ad hoc creditor group but one of the members insists on retaining WLRK for themselves on the side.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Curious about WLRK. I mean it's WLRK, so it's small, the people are smart, they work a lot, get paid a lot, but what sort of creditor work do they do, what are peoples' experiences, etc
I don't work at WLRK but we have attorneys who came over from there and i've worked with/across from them. They don't have a traditional bankruptcy practice a la guiding a company through an in-court reorganization. Better to think of them as a special forces finance/securities group. Unlike their peer firms, they don't draw a line between lev fin (e.g., term loans) and securities. They're holistic debt lawyers.

Earlier in their history they used to represent the more usual secured lenders (one of their former partners is why the carve-out is a thing, apparently refused to pay for debtor professionals on a case) but their practice has evolved to become more niche (as traditional bank clients have become more fee sensitive and less creative/opportunistic). See them more often representing opportunistic creditors in complicated capital structures/unique situations. Sometimes see them as co-debtor counsel as special advisors. I've had situations where we represent an ad hoc creditor group but one of the members insists on retaining WLRK for themselves on the side.
Thanks a bunch, super helpful

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Is Willkie considered a bigger player in BK? Don’t seem to see them often.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2019 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is Willkie considered a bigger player in BK? Don’t seem to see them often.
Willkie has appeared on a few of my matters but not often enough to see a pattern. I've seen them rep everything from sponsors to revolving lenders, to bondholders. Never seen them rep the debtor

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is Willkie considered a bigger player in BK? Don’t seem to see them often.
Willkie has appeared on a few of my matters but not often enough to see a pattern. I've seen them rep everything from sponsors to revolving lenders, to bondholders. Never seen them rep the debtor
They do a bit of middle market debtor work, for instance they're repping Aegerion Pharm which filed yesterday, but that's about it on the debtor side.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2019 3:47 pm

What is it about Committee work that people don’t like? I’ve never tried it, but doesn’t necessarily seem any worse than debtor work to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is it about Committee work that people don’t like? I’ve never tried it, but doesn’t necessarily seem any worse than debtor work to me.
Debtor-side mid level at one of the big shops.

For one, your "client" is the Committee, which is acting on behalf of all general unsecured creditors that likely aren't represented by a larger ad hoc group that's probably been negotiating with the debtors for some time and has likely negotiated a pretty substantial recovery, so, if a UCC has been appointed, it means GUCs probably aren't getting paid out in full, and you're likely throwing bombs to try to get a few more cents--that means filing objections to everything (e.g., KEIPs), filing standing motions to try to unwind certain transactions, arguing sub-con, etc... Once the Committee reaches a deal on the treatment of GUCs, the Committee essentially has a very limited role, so there could be a flurry of activity early on as you try to get up to speed on the case to negotiated, but after that, Committee work drops off a cliff.

Second, you are only negotiating on behalf of GUCs, so you don't get the broad experience that you would as a debtor-side attorney, and the GUCs won't be the future owners of the Company, so they're not involved in the more substantive governance/capitalization decisions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 31, 2019 1:06 pm

Can anyone weigh in on Stroock?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:30 pm

How easy is it to hit hours, assuming there is a requirement, at the big creditor firms (DPW, Akin, PW, Kramer, Milbank etc.)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How easy is it to hit hours, assuming there is a requirement, at the big creditor firms (DPW, Akin, PW, Kramer, Milbank etc.)?
No requirement at PW and DPW. It's a cyclical practice so i think people understand that hours will ebb and flow

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:17 pm

You'll probably make your bonus at Akin but firm recently went from 1950 to blackbox hours target (and likely moving the unofficial target up soon - the firm is cheap in a bad way wrt associate comp, know plenty of people who were promised one thing and got another wrt bonuses).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:52 am

Thoughts on Milbank / Cleary in bk?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on Milbank / Cleary in bk?
Milbank - Traditionally strong, particularly on the creditor side, but group is trending downwards in recent years.

Cleary - Nonexistent for the most part. Believe they do a lot of sovereign debt type work but I’ve never seen them in a chapter 11.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Milbank - Traditionally strong, particularly on the creditor side, but group is trending downwards in recent years.
Surprised to hear that about Milbank, always thought they were one of the stronger creditor groups. What groups are consideeed the strongest creditor side these days?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Surprised to hear that about Milbank, always thought they were one of the stronger creditor groups. What groups are consideeed the strongest creditor side these days?
Sorry didn’t mean to imply Milbank isn’t good, it is, but the partnership is aging out and not being replaced. That said, I would still put it in the top tier creditor firms with Akin, DPW, JD, probably some others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Cleary - Nonexistent for the most part. Believe they do a lot of sovereign debt type work but I’ve never seen them in a chapter 11.
Cleary is pretty involved in Sears and i've seen them here and there...usually in LatAm or other sovereign debt stuff. I wouldn't call them a major player in the workout/ch. 11 space. I still don't really know what Cleary as a whole "does"...feels like they organize their business around geography rather than practice groups

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:37 pm

A quick question sorry - but if one wants to work internationally is restructuring a no go? Would there be any chance to move to Europe/Asia one day as a restructuring lawyer? Corporate associate here being offered an internal restructuring role.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”