AMA- Biglaw Stub about to give notice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AMA- Biglaw Stub about to give notice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 am

Biglaw stub year in a litigation practice in non-nyc major market. Firm is in the v100. About to give notice once conflicts clear at the new place. AMA.

Anonymous User

Re: AMA- Biglaw Stub about to give notice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:07 am

Stub year as in class of 2018? If so, I'm in the same boat! What's driving your decision to lateral now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Stub year as in class of 2018? If so, I'm in the same boat! What's driving your decision to lateral now?
Yes, same class. The partners, plain and simple. They go to extremes that other biglaw partners I have spoken to find completely inappropriate. My partners actively berate junior associates, including stubs in public for extremely minor things, like asking how to find something.

I figured people may have questions especially on the process to finding a new job given I have only been practicing for 8 months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Biglaw stub year in a litigation practice in non-nyc major market. Firm is in the v100. About to give notice once conflicts clear at the new place. AMA.
Thanks for doing this. Few questions for you.

1. How long did it take you to land a new offer, and did you use a recruiter?

2. Are you moving to another v100, and if so, how did you convince them that you wouldn't be a flight risk there?

3. Did you get a signing bonus from the new firm to help you pay back your bar stipend from your old firm?

4. Are you going into lit at your new firm or did you have to switch practices to lateral?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Biglaw stub year in a litigation practice in non-nyc major market. Firm is in the v100. About to give notice once conflicts clear at the new place. AMA.

2. Are you moving to another v100, and if so, how did you convince them that you wouldn't be a flight risk there?

3. Did you get a signing bonus from the new firm to help you pay back your bar stipend from your old firm?

4. Are you going into lit at your new firm or did you have to switch practices to lateral?
1- I started looking in January. I actually used a number of recruiters and a mix of networking. I had a number of callbacks that came from recruiters, but the new gig came from networking. I am staying in the same market so I was easy for me to get lunches/coffee with people.

2- I’m moving to a lit boutique. Not susman or the super high end, but in the next immediate tier. Much better shot for partnership, bigger bonuses, etc.

3- to be worked out.

4- staying in lit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:11 am

Realized I didn’t answer re flight risk. I got that question a lot. I tried to focus on why the place I was interviewing with was different than my current firm and how that is more of what I want to do either as their practice (say more securities lit than real estate lit, as a made up example) or how the firm was different. So for the new place, I focused heavily on the leaner staffing, better partnership prospects, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1- I started looking in January. I actually used a number of recruiters and a mix of networking. I had a number of callbacks that came from recruiters, but the new gig came from networking. I am staying in the same market so I was easy for me to get lunches/coffee with people.

2- I’m moving to a lit boutique. Not susman or the super high end, but in the next immediate tier. Much better shot for partnership, bigger bonuses, etc.

3- to be worked out.

4- staying in lit.
Useful thread. Also considering making a move soon in my market. Any advice for how to not burn bridges/preserve relations given that you're leaving before the 1 year mark?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

3- to be worked out.

4- staying in lit.
Useful thread. Also considering making a move soon in my market. Any advice for how to not burn bridges/preserve relations given that you're leaving before the 1 year mark?

I haven’t given notice yet, so I will let you know. I stayed positive in all my interviews about my current firm, even if that was a stretch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2019 8:12 am

I had a lateral callback Friday in NYC at a V50 known to move fast to make offers. What was your turnaround time from callback to offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

3- to be worked out.

4- staying in lit.

I haven’t given notice yet, so I will let you know. I stayed positive in all my interviews about my current firm, even if that was a stretch.
Any update OP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 4:22 pm

OP, how long did it take you to clear conflicts?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Random aside, but I think “stub year” generally refers to the 2-5 months of law firm work that occurs in the same year you graduated (e.g., October 2018-December 2018 or whenever you got your prorated bonus). At this probably best described as a true first year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 pm

OP here, sorry about the delay. I started the new gig this week. It is SOOO much better.

It only took a few days to clear conflicts. Had a few minor issues with conflicts, but nothing too bad. One partner took the news really poorly, while another was supportive.

And sorry for the confusion with stub year. I was a 2018 grad and started at my old firm last fall.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, sorry about the delay. I started the new gig this week. It is SOOO much better.

It only took a few days to clear conflicts. Had a few minor issues with conflicts, but nothing too bad. One partner took the news really poorly, while another was supportive.

And sorry for the confusion with stub year. I was a 2018 grad and started at my old firm last fall.
Congrats! Were the issues related to representation of clients or logistical/administrative matters?

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Sat May 18, 2019 4:50 pm

First of all, congrats! It sounds like the new place is much better.

How did you handle the partner who took it poorly? How did thy take it poorly?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”