Canadian Lawyer - NY Bar? Upstate NY Legal Market? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Canadian Lawyer - NY Bar? Upstate NY Legal Market?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:55 pm

I practiced Commercial Real Estate Law for 4 years-ish in Canada. Long story short, career went from midsize boutique firm --> successful solo ---> hired associates/found partners ---> set to retire from the firm I build up in 2020. Luckily, I cashed out of Toronto real estate market in 2017.

Due to family responsibilities, I will be moving to the US next year. I have dual citizenship, so immigration isn't an issue, but I need to find a place to settle down. From my research, it looks like I will only be able to sit for the NY or California Bar. I don't want to be too far from Toronto, so ideally within a 4-5 hours drive. I have been looking at possible places in upstate NY, but I have no idea about the legal market.

I want to start a solo shop or perhaps join a small firm that offers good lifestyle. I am definitely not looking for high salary, I think 30-40k is probably enough to supplement my investment income. I really like the area around Bolton Landing, is it realistic to live there long term?

Any recommendation on the city/town/areas to settle down in upstate ny would be appreciated! I like the outdoors and traveled a bit in the past year in the State, so I have a rough idea where it's terrible.

Return to “Legal Employment”