Hiring a professional to revise my resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hiring a professional to revise my resume

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:29 pm

When I registered my account on a state bar association website, there was a section where I could upload my resume and get it reviewed for free. So I did. A few days later, an enthusiastic woman emailed me and claimed that she would provide me feedback if I could purchase a $179 package from http://www.topresume.com.

It is worth it? For your reference, 3L at T-14, nothing lined up yet. So I'm desperate to take advantage of anything possible. Law school career service isn't very helpful atm.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Re: Hiring a professional to revise my resume

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:58 pm

you should make career services be helpful. it is not worth the money.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 pm

Find whomever in Career Services is helpful. Talk with alumni to help you. If the counselor you have in Career Services is not helpful, keep asking until you find someone who is helpful. Don't pay $179 to some resume shill to not really improve your resume. You got this!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:25 pm

If the issue is your writing (which your post kind of confirms), the university (probably not the law school, but the main campus) likely has a writing center. Go there and ask someone to review it. And yes, use your career services office. They're highly motivated to get you work.

But also, you might want to take advantage of that kind of service for your work in general. If you're struggling with something as simple as resume entries, I think you might have much more serious issues getting a job (i.e. your writing sample).

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Maybe you can take it to your career services office to see if it's bad at all. I feel like this sales woman may have a vested interest in making you think your resume sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”