Summer Associate Schedule Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aipos

New

Summer Associate Schedule

Post by aipos » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:06 pm

Going to be a summer associate at a big law firm this summer (DC office), but they still haven't sent out our schedule for this summer.
I emailed them around ~3 weeks ago asking about start/end dates etc., and they said they would get back to everyone soon on schedules but it's been silence so far...

I'm a little concerned because they did mention we would have to go through a background check before starting, but don't those take a while? When do summer associates normally start their summers?

And while I'm asking, what was your favorite event your firm planned for you when you were a summer associate? I'm a bit worried because I have no idea when I'm starting, but overall excited to be wined and dined :)

icansortofmath

Bronze

Re: Summer Associate Schedule

Post by icansortofmath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:04 pm

For what it's worth, for reasons nobody has told me, all my background checks (3x law firms + 1 big 4) took more than a month (maybe less... but always got confirmation/onboarding more than a month after I agreed to a background check.)

I always ended up asking recruiter and career services what the hell... career services have consistently told me they've never seen an offer rescinded due to a background check. I find that rather impossible but I suspect what they really mean is it's VERY unlikely to get rejected due to a background check unless there is something ridiculous.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:17 pm

icansortofmath wrote:For what it's worth, for reasons nobody has told me, all my background checks (3x law firms + 1 big 4) took more than a month (maybe less... but always got confirmation/onboarding more than a month after I agreed to a background check.)

I always ended up asking recruiter and career services what the hell... career services have consistently told me they've never seen an offer rescinded due to a background check. I find that rather impossible but I suspect what they really mean is it's VERY unlikely to get rejected due to a background check unless there is something ridiculous.
IME, background check contractors are often shockingly incompetent. And yes, the process can drag on for several weeks.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some serious skeletons in the closet.

justanotherlurker

New

Post by justanotherlurker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:31 am

Are you in DC, or do you need to find housing/book travel/etc.? If the latter, I think you're within your rights to follow-up and demand an answer, since you need to know when you need to be there.

But either way, just ask. Recruiting people don't bite, and they want to make you happy. And it's their job.

Generally, it'll be end of may/early June through end of July/early August. Sometimes there is flexibility (e.g., schools that start/end at weird times, like if they have quarter system), but often not much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”