Mid-Year Bonuses Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Mid-Year Bonuses

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:51 pm

I just assumed everyone had July 5th off since it was on our 2019 firm holiday calendar that was sent around in late 2018.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:58 am

ghostoftraynor wrote:You guys are forgetting market is based on $/hour now. With one less day of work, V&E is new market leader.
LOL. That whole argument that "market" means something other than the way everyone in the profession uses it was one of the worst arguments aired here recently.

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
ghostoftraynor wrote:You guys are forgetting market is based on $/hour now. With one less day of work, V&E is new market leader.
LOL. That whole argument that "market" means something other than the way everyone in the profession uses it was one of the worst arguments aired here recently.
That’s kind of K&E style for ya. Associate who is pretty smart but thinks he/she is a super genius and has figured out something no one else has. Then doubles down when his/her bad argument is called out.
Last edited by QContinuum on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

jimmythetulip

New

Post by jimmythetulip » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Ah, watch as the disgruntled associates begin to turn on each other. At this point, only the strongest and most cunning will survive to enjoy the July 5th holiday.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Someone once told me that it was heavily rumored that top brass at each of the NYC elite firms meets up semi-regularly. Have others heard this too or was I bamboozled? Honestly would make sense with how comp progresses but also like a pretty obv BIG COLLUSION case too

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 pm

@ BlackAndOrange84

"LOL. That whole argument that 'market' means something other than the way everyone in the profession uses it was one of the worst arguments aired here recently."

Just because everyone in the profession uses it one way, does not make it so. Said one man to another back in the day, "Bro, everyone knows the world is flat. Come on."

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:47 pm

yo we flat earthers now

Someone call kyrie

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:47 pm

mt2165 wrote:Someone once told me that it was heavily rumored that top brass at each of the NYC elite firms meets up semi-regularly. Have others heard this too or was I bamboozled? Honestly would make sense with how comp progresses but also like a pretty obv BIG COLLUSION case too
I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's the only thing that I can think of that would basically allow a single firm to set compensation (with 0 variation) for an entire industry for 100+ years.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@ BlackAndOrange84

"LOL. That whole argument that 'market' means something other than the way everyone in the profession uses it was one of the worst arguments aired here recently."

Just because everyone in the profession uses it one way, does not make it so. Said one man to another back in the day, "Bro, everyone knows the world is flat. Come on."
Impressed that you have unmediated platonic knowledge of the meaning of words.

A little more in seriousness, you haven't even made a convincing prescriptivist argument about the meaning of "market." I'm all for a little prescriptivism where it's warranted, but you're not right on either a prescriptivist or descriptivist view. Now maybe what you mean is that the fora and lawyers more generally don't measure market comp in the right or best way (and you're not entirely wrong there, there's something to be said for measuring comp by hours worked rather than by bottom line annual comp), but that's a distinct question from the meaning of "market." Stop conflating the two and acting like you're obviously right. You're not. But go on convinced that you've got it all figured out and everyone else are just moron sheep. I'm sure that attitude serves you well in life and career.

ETA: Take 2 minutes to figure out the quote feature if you're so smart.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:35 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:

A little more in seriousness, you haven't even made a convincing prescriptivist argument about the meaning of "market." I'm all for a little prescriptivism where it's warranted, but you're not right on either a prescriptivist or descriptivist view. Now maybe what you mean is that the fora and lawyers more generally don't measure market comp in the right or best way (and you're not entirely wrong there, there's something to be said for measuring comp by hours worked rather than by bottom line annual comp), but that's a distinct question from the meaning of "market." Stop conflating the two and acting like you're obviously right. You're not. But go on convinced that you've got it all figured out and everyone else are just moron sheep. I'm sure that attitude serves you well in life and career.

Platonic

Unmediated

Prescriptivist

Descriptivist

Fora

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Folks we're totally forgetting to take COL into account for market, hence why all the Texas firms are clearly beating alleged compensation leaders like K&E and Gunderson...

Oh yeah Gunderson... Stimulating as it is, IDGAF about this existential "market" definition debate. Just give us our summer bonuses meow and we can end this useless thread.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:37 pm

purpletiger wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:

Platonic

Unmediated

Prescriptivist

Descriptivist

Fora
Fair.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:17 pm

cornerstone wrote:Folks we're totally forgetting to take COL into account for market, hence why all the Texas firms are clearly beating alleged compensation leaders like K&E and Gunderson...

Oh yeah Gunderson... Stimulating as it is, IDGAF about this existential "market" definition debate. Just give us our summer bonuses meow and we can end this useless thread.
please don't turn this into another texas vs nyc biglaw thread. thx

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 pm

The dream is clearly dead, folks.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 pm

dabigchina wrote:
cornerstone wrote:Folks we're totally forgetting to take COL into account for market, hence why all the Texas firms are clearly beating alleged compensation leaders like K&E and Gunderson...

But “market” clearly means hourly comp discounted by COL.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:59 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

But “market” clearly means hourly comp discounted by COL.
All I know is that market means matching Gunderson. There, problem solved.
Last edited by QContinuum on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Congrats guys, we did it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:50 pm

Br3v wrote:Congrats guys, we did it!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 pm

I actually think I’m gonna have to cancel my reservation at Masa. Was really thinking we’d get a bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:51 pm

I heard from a friend that someone asked about summer bonuses at the Kirkland meeting. Is that true? What was the mood?

Silver

Post by 2013 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard from a friend that someone asked about summer bonuses at the Kirkland meeting. Is that true? What was the mood?
The ATL article says that happened.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:57 pm

2013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I heard from a friend that someone asked about summer bonuses at the Kirkland meeting. Is that true? What was the mood?
Link?

yodamiked

Bronze

Post by yodamiked » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 am

Br3v wrote:
2013 wrote:
Link?
https://abovethelaw.com/2019/06/biglaw- ... -kirkland/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Can confirm the question was asked and answered in the negative. Would expect KE to follow peer firms, but confirmed they aren't going to lead the charge.

Arad

Bronze

Post by Arad » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Where tf is my bonus?

Mods, can you please delete dump posts from summers and make sure this is bumped up instead of spending 15 hours a day un-anoning people?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”