On pace for 15th straight month of 240+ billables. AMA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

On pace for 15th straight month of 240+ billables. AMA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:15 am

Not posting this to brag (obviously, since it isn’t something to “brag” about), but just thought I’d provide some insight for the high billers out there since so many people on here talk about how a 200 hour month is the point of no return.

Anyways, if interested, fire away

MillllerTime

New

Re: On pace for 15th straight month of 240+ billables. AMA

Postby MillllerTime » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 am

1. Why?
2. Is it by choice?
3. What practice group and how senior?

Unless you are grinding out the last year or two before attainable partnership, I can't imagine any response to this other than "dude take a vacation."

Hopefullitassociate

New

Postby Hopefullitassociate » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:49 am

I hope none of this comes across as rude, because I'm sincerely asking...are you happy with your life/routine? Obviously you've had to sacrifice things for work, but are you content with those sacrifices (i.e. they weren't as important to you as your job), or do you wish you could get that time back? When you reflect on this past year+, do you look back fondly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 am

MillllerTime wrote:1. Why?
2. Is it by choice?
3. What practice group and how senior?

Unless you are grinding out the last year or two before attainable partnership, I can't imagine any response to this other than "dude take a vacation."

3rd-5th year range
Mostly by need due to lean staffing and how busy we are
One of the groups that is typically discussed on here as most brutal in terms of hours

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 am

Hopefullitassociate wrote:I hope none of this comes across as rude, because I'm sincerely asking...are you happy with your life/routine? Obviously you've had to sacrifice things for work, but are you content with those sacrifices (i.e. they weren't as important to you as your job), or do you wish you could get that time back? When you reflect on this past year+, do you look back fondly?

Honestly it depends on the day. I wish I had more balance with respect to my nights and weekends but I’m happy that I have enough work to be consistently busy during the day every single day. I hate downtime during the workday.

But yes there are definite tradeoffs

v5junior

Bronze

Postby v5junior » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:14 am

Have you taken any vacations? Those months 240+ too for the last 15 months?

abiglawyer

New

Postby abiglawyer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not posting this to brag (obviously, since it isn’t something to “brag” about), but just thought I’d provide some insight for the high billers out there since so many people on here talk about how a 200 hour month is the point of no return.

Serious question: Do you use drugs? Including prescription ADHD medication, whether or not you have a diagnosis?

JHP

Bronze

Postby JHP » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:35 am

How are you handling it? As in, are you finding ways to blow off steam or are have you literally just done nose to the grindstone, work, (maybe) eat, (maybe) shower, (maybe) sleep, and repeat?

Do you think others in your group are as busy?

Also, are you big law and what market?

(I'm also on a 5 or so month streak of 200+ monthly hours and I feel it starting to dig away at my humanity.)

Hopefullitassociate

New

Postby Hopefullitassociate » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Hopefullitassociate wrote:I hope none of this comes across as rude, because I'm sincerely asking...are you happy with your life/routine? Obviously you've had to sacrifice things for work, but are you content with those sacrifices (i.e. they weren't as important to you as your job), or do you wish you could get that time back? When you reflect on this past year+, do you look back fondly?

Honestly it depends on the day. I wish I had more balance with respect to my nights and weekends but I’m happy that I have enough work to be consistently busy during the day every single day. I hate downtime during the workday.

Thanks for the reply! What do you see as the most immediate sacrifices you've made, especially when it comes to nights and weekends (i.e. social life, sleep, dating, hobbies, etc.).

How much longer do you think you could keep this pace up before you quit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:09 am

v5junior wrote:Have you taken any vacations? Those months 240+ too for the last 15 months?

A couple of long weekends and then some time for thanksgiving and Christmas, but that’s about it

I’ll get to other questions throughout day and night as I have time

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:27 pm

abiglawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not posting this to brag (obviously, since it isn’t something to “brag” about), but just thought I’d provide some insight for the high billers out there since so many people on here talk about how a 200 hour month is the point of no return.

Serious question: Do you use drugs? Including prescription ADHD medication, whether or not you have a diagnosis?

Nah, when it gets truly dire I’ll have a Red Bull. But normally I don’t even drink coffee. I’m just one of those people that functions well with minimal sleep

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 pm

How many different projects do you typically juggle at the same time? Do a lot of the hours come from tasks like doc review or diligence or the like that don't require much thinking?

dabigchina

Gold

Postby dabigchina » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Do you like your job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm finishing up 8 straight weeks of 60 hrs a week. It sucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:13 pm

JHP wrote:How are you handling it? As in, are you finding ways to blow off steam or are have you literally just done nose to the grindstone, work, (maybe) eat, (maybe) shower, (maybe) sleep, and repeat?

Do you think others in your group are as busy?

Also, are you big law and what market?

(I'm also on a 5 or so month streak of 200+ monthly hours and I feel it starting to dig away at my humanity.)

New York biglaw. Others in the group are very busy, but I’m known for being consistently very busy.

During the day I try to be extremely efficient. I have a really solid attention span and stamina so while I’m in the office from 10 to 10 on a typical day, I will nearly always bill at least 11 hours during that timeframe.

I try to do some stuff on the weekend to recharge (although I work a lot on weekends too)

BrainsyK

Bronze

Postby BrainsyK » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:19 pm

Are you at least getting paid extra for this?

Excellent117

Bronze

Postby Excellent117 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:18 pm

With all due respect, it sounds kind of like you've developed Corporate Stockholm Syndrome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:20 pm

Hopefullitassociate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the reply! What do you see as the most immediate sacrifices you've made, especially when it comes to nights and weekends (i.e. social life, sleep, dating, hobbies, etc.).

How much longer do you think you could keep this pace up before you quit?

It’s been the direct result of 2 failed relationships, so that sucks

Also prevents me from doing stuff on weekends I like; although I do make sure to catch up on sleep on weekends

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:20 pm

"It’s been the direct result of 2 failed relationships, so that sucks"

Bro/girl you need to get out. You could have married he/she but you were working too much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:40 pm

QContinuum wrote:How many different projects do you typically juggle at the same time? Do a lot of the hours come from tasks like doc review or diligence or the like that don't require much thinking?

I have one primary matter that takes up 80% of my time and then 2 secondary matters that each take up another 10%. I always have a certain amount of non-urgent “drone” type work for the main matter that I can pick up when there is nothing more substantive or urgent on the matter or my secondary cases that needs to be tended to

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:50 pm

:oops:
dabigchina wrote:Do you like your job?

Most of the time yes. Sometimes I really hate it - though often because of other people more than sheer quantity

almondjoy

Bronze

Postby almondjoy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:02 am

Excellent117 wrote:With all due respect, it sounds kind of like you've developed Corporate Stockholm Syndrome.

Totally agree. You need to take more vacation and/or put up stronger boundaries.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:01 am

BrainsyK wrote:Are you at least getting paid extra for this?

I wish! All things considered, from a compensation standpoint this will only have made sense compared to my peers if I end up making partner

jacketyellow

Bronze

Postby jacketyellow » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 am

Speaking as someone who ran away from biglaw in my second year, I just don't understand how people can put up with this life day-in/day-out. It's crazy. And for what? Bragging rights? At the end of the day, who cares about this stuff? Do you really care about the work you're doing? Be honest.

(I am not trying to be offensive, just thinking to myself.)

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:34 am

jacketyellow wrote:Speaking as someone who ran away from biglaw in my second year, I just don't understand how people can put up with this life day-in/day-out. It's crazy. And for what? Bragging rights? At the end of the day, who cares about this stuff? Do you really care about the work you're doing? Be honest.

(I am not trying to be offensive, just thinking to myself.)

It’s so you can grow old utterly alone and cry into your pile of money (that you managed to grow because you had nothing to spend money on other than housing and most of your meals were reimbursed). But hey, you made of counsel (sorry, but you just didn’t quite have what it takes to make partner).

Return to “Legal Employment?