Arizona Job Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
randolawyer

New

Arizona Job Market

Post by randolawyer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi! I'm considering going to UofA this upcoming semester and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of what the job market for lawyers is like in Arizona? I'm really hoping to get a job in biglaw or at least something that pays 100k :lol: . Does anyone know what the availability of such jobs are and how well I would need to do in school to achieve that kind of pay? Thanks in advance!

Sls17

Bronze

Re: Arizona Job Market

Post by Sls17 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:12 am

Others may have anecdotal data, but start here:

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/arizona/jobs/

Miss-Bubbled

New

Post by Miss-Bubbled » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:37 pm

I went to a school outside of Arizona because I thought my degree would have more portability both inside and outside Arizona. I was wrong. It’s very difficult (though not impossible) to land a firm job in AZ if you didn’t go to ASU/UofA. Summer classes in AZ are small. I believe you need to perform quite well there to get a SA position.

Also, I’ve heard—no personal experience—that it’s easier to get a firm job coming from ASU over U of A. I know ASU is ranked higher, but people in AZ do have a lot of respect for UofA. It might just be that there are more firms in Phx than Tucson so it’s easier for those students to network. In any event, if you want to be in Arizona I would consider ASU as well.

Good luck!

randolawyer

New

Post by randolawyer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:16 pm

bump, hoping to get some more responses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:46 pm

In my experience big law is very uncommon in Arizona. Maybe 10 firms combining to hire 30 people a year. 30 sounds like a decent amount until you consider each spot has all of U of A and ASU law plus others applying. I think the earlier poster was correct in that ASU has an advantage by being closer to the firms so you can network more. Beyond big law there are very few jobs paying 100k+. I would expect the better, small shops to pay 70-90 with many firms paying even less. So to meet your goals I would expect you need to be in the top 10ish% plus network well which is unlikely. Its certainly not impossible but its long odds to bet 3 years on if you wuold not be happy with other results. I would also warn against falling into the mindset of "well if I work my butt off I can get 10%" because that is everyones mindset and not everyone can be in the top 10%.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UrsusCasus

New

Post by UrsusCasus » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:20 pm

bump for responses

mak_

New

Post by mak_ » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:45 am

Miss-Bubbled wrote:I went to a school outside of Arizona because I thought my degree would have more portability both inside and outside Arizona. I was wrong. It’s very difficult (though not impossible) to land a firm job in AZ if you didn’t go to ASU/UofA. Summer classes in AZ are small. I believe you need to perform quite well there to get a SA position.

Also, I’ve heard—no personal experience—that it’s easier to get a firm job coming from ASU over U of A. I know ASU is ranked higher, but people in AZ do have a lot of respect for UofA. It might just be that there are more firms in Phx than Tucson so it’s easier for those students to network. In any event, if you want to be in Arizona I would consider ASU as well.

Good luck!
Seconding the point about non-AZ schools. Though admittedly I could’ve hustled a bit harder.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”