Document Review Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
L_William_W

Bronze

Document Review

Post by L_William_W » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Long story short, I have two jobs. One of them is a non-legal job that I do on weekends. The other is a job at a law firm in which I'm treated like a walking punching bag. I want to tell my boss to kiss my ass and then quit. I'm interested in pursuing document review. However, I'm not quite sure what it entails and what do I need to know. Can anyone give me some insight?

CyberpunkAttorney

New

Re: Document Review

Post by CyberpunkAttorney » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Document rewview is the legal equivalent of doing "background acting" (extra work) in Hollywood, meaning you have to fight waves of others to even get a gig, and it might last 2 days or 4 months, and varying degrees of quality between.

I might be a weirdo, but I did it for a while because I knew we were moving to a new city for a spouse's job soon and I just needed something to do, but I found myself kind of enjoying it. I threw on a mix of music, podcasts, and web streamed radio and kind of just got in the zone. Expectations are usually clear, and it's nice have literally zero ties to any of the management, so as long as you do your work as expected, you can shut the computer down and walk out the door without a second thought at the end of the day, free to focus on the rest of your life.

To be clear though, it's still mind-numbingly repetitive, more so sometimes than others with the subject matter, and not something you want to try to get a "break" or make a lot of money from. Just like background acting in movies.

PS: Here's a good older discussion about what it actually entails in terms of what the work is: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=193115

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”