Not working with partners as a first year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hopesndreams

New

Not working with partners as a first year

Post by hopesndreams » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm a first year in NYC big law and I haven't worked directly for any partner yet. All the work I have been getting comes directly from mid level associates or senior associates, and when I am officially staffed on a partner's deal I will only work with/correspond directly with the associate above me that is also staffed on the deal. Partners are not really getting to see my work product as it is usually reviewed by the more senior associate on the deal and then sent out.

Is this normal for a first year? Can't help but feel like I'm either doing something wrong or should be taking more initiative.

Anonymous User

Re: Not working with partners as a first year

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:20 pm

First year here in a transactional group of about 12 in NYC Biglaw firm (10 associates and 2 partners). Unless I'm asking to get an opinion signed (which requires a review of the documents being opined on)...I also have little to no direct interactions. I think its pretty normal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:44 pm

It depends on group. I'm a first year in a specialty group and I work almost exclusively with partners.

Honestly, count yourself lucky. I love having a mid-level or a senior backstopping me from doing stupid shit. They also have way more time and patience to explain things to you (if they are good). Even the best partners are not going to have time to do that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:51 pm

First year in lit. I work almost exclusively with partners. It is terrible. They have no time to explain a single thing. I get told to write X motion or prepare Y research for their client call 2 hours later. No time to learn or make a mistake. No one can cover for you either, like a midlevel or senior.

Honestly, I am already trying to leave because working with unreasonable partners as a first year is really terrible. It has significantly destroyed my confidence and desire to work in law. Consider yourselves lucky. Develop and learn from the people in the middle, because the partners don't give a s*%$ about any of that.

Edit: Non NYC biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First year in lit. I work almost exclusively with partners. It is terrible. They have no time to explain a single thing. I get told to write X motion or prepare Y research for their client call 2 hours later. No time to learn or make a mistake. No one can cover for you either, like a midlevel or senior.

Honestly, I am already trying to leave because working with unreasonable partners as a first year is really terrible. It has significantly destroyed my confidence and desire to work in law. Consider yourselves lucky. Develop and learn from the people in the middle, because the partners don't give a s*%$ about any of that.

Edit: Non NYC biglaw.
I could have typed this exact same post. Working 1 on 1 with partners is stressful and difficult. They don't explain anything to you and then are surprised when you don't do something the way they wanted it done. You can always ask other associates, but that's not always fruitful.

I am currently working with a midlevel associate on drafting responses for a government investigation and he actually takes time to explain things to me and tells me why something needs to be done and how to do it. That is a much better way to work and makes me feel like I am learning and that I actually know kind of what I am talking about. I would much rather work with good mid-levels and seniors than partners who don't give a damn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 pm

First year in specialty practice area here as well. Rarely work with partners and it's usually the times where I have the shortest deadlines and most limited resources and opportunities for mentorship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”