What to do before job starts Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to do before job starts

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:45 pm

I have about 5 months before my job starts. Any suggestions what to do?

icansortofmath

Bronze

Re: What to do before job starts

Post by icansortofmath » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Is it biglaw? If so, travel, check off as many items on your bucket list as possible, and say goodbye to your loved ones and let them know you love them but you need to disappear for a while.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:04 pm

I plan on spending my post-clerkship pre-employment months working on a campaign. Is that something that would interest you?

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 pm

5 months is enough time to legitimately develop a skill if you focus. You could become a pretty good golfer in that amount of time, for instance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Plan a trip and enjoy your free time OP!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 pm

What practice? If corporate, consider buying a few E&Es to work (especially sec reg) through over the next five months to get a leg up.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:31 pm

Auxilio wrote:I plan on spending my post-clerkship pre-employment months working on a campaign. Is that something that would interest you?
Are there many/any campaign opportunities this year? Next year would obviously be great for campaign work...

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:24 am

QContinuum wrote:
Auxilio wrote:I plan on spending my post-clerkship pre-employment months working on a campaign. Is that something that would interest you?
Are there many/any campaign opportunities this year? Next year would obviously be great for campaign work...
Don’t do anything like this. You could end up enjoying it and it will make biglaw considerably more miserable. Best not to tempt fate here.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:55 am

QContinuum wrote:
Personally, I'm Canadian and there is a federal election in October. But I imagine you could work on one of the primary campaigns down here still, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:39 am

Do whatever you want.

If traveling makes you happy, go to Europe/Asia/Australia.

If learning new skills makes you happy, learn a language, or an instrument, or cooking, etc.

If staying in bed binging Netflix makes you happy, do that. Watch every show you've ever thought about watching.

Just chill out and do whatever brings you the most happiness during this time.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 am

Get as fit as you possibly can

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:14 am

DoveBodyWash wrote:Get as fit as you possibly can

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:30 pm

cheaptilts wrote:
DoveBodyWash wrote:Get as fit as you possibly can
Getting fit is probably one of the best gifts you can give yourself. 5 months is good amount of time to see results. I’d recommend a personal trainer or a jiu-jitsu/any martial arts class, over self training.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Auxilio wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Personally, I'm Canadian and there is a federal election in October. But I imagine you could work on one of the primary campaigns down here still, no?
Good point about the Canadian election! My bad for my stereotypically American "U.S.-centric" worldview. :P

Also agree that there are likely to be volunteer opportunities Stateside for the primary campaigns.

wishywashy

New

Post by wishywashy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Study for the bar?

Assuming you have done that already and taken the bar, I would vote a mix of enjoying your time and keeping up on changes in your practice area. You don't want to go so far to the lazy side of the spectrum that you want to smash your head against the wall your first day on the job. And I would avoid getting involved in politics personally - the world is very polarized right now - why risk alienating a client (or a supervisor) because they can't stomach that you represent a superior ideology and world view ( :wink: ).

Enjoy your free time!

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:07 pm

Travel. Road trip across the country or something. Quite possibly this will be your last opportunity to do something like this for the next 40 years or so.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:41 pm

do something you'd never in a million years do otherwise. go work on a chicken farm, become a traveling hobo, intern at a craft brewer, something, anything, that will give you stories for years to come

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”