How soon to take vacation as a lateral? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How soon to take vacation as a lateral?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm a midlevel NYC associate looking to make a lateral move before the end of the year--no one in my group ever makes bonus and I know I won't make it this year. I do have a ten day trip planned in July for an overseas wedding and I'm not sure how soon it is acceptable to take vacation as a lateral. Appreciate any input.

Silver

Re: How soon to take vacation as a lateral?

Post by 2013 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:03 pm

My colleague went on a two week vacation 2 weeks in. But the firm knew of this before she signed the offer and agreed to it.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:00 pm

2013 wrote:the firm knew of this before she signed the offer and agreed to it.
this. If you tell the firm beforehand that you've got something planned, they'll probably be fine with it. If you start there and immediately ask for time off, there's a good chance they'll immediately show you the door
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a midlevel NYC associate looking to make a lateral move before the end of the year--no one in my group ever makes bonus and I know I won't make it this year. I do have a ten day trip planned in July for an overseas wedding and I'm not sure how soon it is acceptable to take vacation as a lateral. Appreciate any input.
I did it 1-2 months in b/c of a friends wedding in Europe. I cleared it with the hiring partner beforehand during a follow up conversation after the offer (but before I accepted). It was no big deal at all. To the extent possible, I definitely would try to raise it before you start or accept an offer to ease any anxiety/stress about it.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:55 am

Evidence of our shitty work culture

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 am

mvp99 wrote:Evidence of our shitty work culture
I think biglaw is probably more flexible with vacations than a lot of industries. When I worked grey-collar, entry-level jobs, a vacation six months in would be pretty unheard of (and of course, you’d likely have little PTO accrued to even do that). I know that’s probably an inapt comparison, but I can’t think of an industry where —by and large—a 1-2 week vacation 3 months in on the job would be totally cool

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:26 pm

This is v simple. Get the lateral offer. Then when you have the offer say, "I already had this 10-day trip planned, is that going to be a problem". The firm will either say that's fine, or they'll say, let's just push your start date back until as soon as you're back from your trip.

This is how you handle this with literally any job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”