Employee Benefits to Another Practice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employee Benefits to Another Practice?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:43 pm

I’ve been in EB/EC for two years. I like it, but I don’t like my firm. I’ve been trying to lateral, but, as people in the area may know, there aren’t too many positions available and only the most selective firms seem to ever be looking. I’m looking to move around in the northeast (where I currently am).

Has anyone been able to lateral out of the area to tax, corporate, healthcare, anything? At this point, I’d rather change practice groups than stay at my firm.

papermateflair

New

Re: Employee Benefits to Another Practice?

Postby papermateflair » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’ve been in EB/EC for two years. I like it, but I don’t like my firm. I’ve been trying to lateral, but, as people in the area may know, there aren’t too many positions available and only the most selective firms seem to ever be looking. I’m looking to move around in the northeast (where I currently am).

Has anyone been able to lateral out of the area to tax, corporate, healthcare, anything? At this point, I’d rather change practice groups than stay at my firm.

Have you tried networking with any firms you're interested in? Just because a firm doesn't have an advertisement out doesn't mean they wouldn't take on a new associate if the right person came along. And have you applied at the selective firms? Sometimes with once you have experience firms that wouldn't have given you a look during law school will have suddenly changed their minds.

But to answer your question - I haven't really seen people lateral out of EBEC into other practice areas - I guess it would depend on what types of matters you've been working on. I think it would be difficult to get into general tax, but if you're doing a ton of M&A work, then you could probably make a good argument to a corporate group about why you're lateraling (because all your M&A work has inspired you to want to do corporate), or if you've been doing health and welfare plan work and realized you really love healthcare or something.

Anonymous User

Re: Employee Benefits to Another Practice?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:58 pm

papermateflair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’ve been in EB/EC for two years. I like it, but I don’t like my firm. I’ve been trying to lateral, but, as people in the area may know, there aren’t too many positions available and only the most selective firms seem to ever be looking. I’m looking to move around in the northeast (where I currently am).

Have you tried networking with any firms you're interested in? Just because a firm doesn't have an advertisement out doesn't mean they wouldn't take on a new associate if the right person came along. And have you applied at the selective firms? Sometimes with once you have experience firms that wouldn't have given you a look during law school will have suddenly changed their minds.

But to answer your question - I haven't really seen people lateral out of EBEC into other practice areas - I guess it would depend on what types of matters you've been working on. I think it would be difficult to get into general tax, but if you're doing a ton of M&A work, then you could probably make a good argument to a corporate group about why you're lateraling (because all your M&A work has inspired you to want to do corporate), or if you've been doing health and welfare plan work and realized you really love healthcare or something.

I’m still too junior for my grades not to matter. I’ve applied to the more selective firms, but haven’t had any luck. I’d probably have to go in as a first year since the work is different (large deals v middle market), so firms are even more concerned with grades.

I’ve networked here and there. I know a former partner (and practice group chair) vwell and she told me that EBEC isn’t really a huge money maker at firms (a lot of the time, if something is written off, it’s EBEC), so, usually firms aren’t willing to hire additional bodies if there is no posting. So I haven’t been too successful there. I’ve had a few bites here and there, but mostly just firms opportunistically interviewing for any future openings.

But your answer is what I was expecting. Thanks for your response.

Return to “Legal Employment?