How slow is too slow? Junior associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How slow is too slow? Junior associate

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Currently at a firm in NYC doing corporate work. Hours aren’t great ranging from highs of 170 to lows of 75 per month.

What is concerning is that others seem to be much busier while others seem to be as slow as me. I’ve had my stub year review and most of it seemed to be positive/above average. No major screw ups.

It’s possible that I’m not being aggressive enough in soliciting work, but I have put out several feelers with only minor success.

Is this a sign that I should get my resume ready? It just seems strange that I’m still slow in February after having positive end of year reviews (from which I also received my stub bonus).

jkpolk

Silver

Re: How slow is too slow? Junior associate

Post by jkpolk » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:02 pm

Those hours are fine for a 1st year. Work will find you, enjoy the downtime. To expand on this a little - you have to be able to roll with work flow, it's a really important part of staying sane in corporate. You'll have 300 hour months and you'll have 50 hour months. When you are in either of those types of months (or a series of one of those types of months), it seems like you'll never have the other again. But you will and it will juice you up for the reverse.

Wasting your downtime worrying about hours will make you more likely to burn out when you get busy because you'll have less left in the tank. Thinking the good times will never come again when you're in a black pit of work, 3 months deep into 250+s, that'll burn you out. Take a day off and work from home, drink a beverage, read a book.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Also a first year with the opposite problem: I billed pretty high hours since I started and I slowed down somewhat recently. I can't shake the feeling that shit's going to hit the fan again and I'm going to get destroyed. My group has pretty consistent (but high) hours. I have nothing to contribute, just venting and hoping for insight.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:34 pm

lol I'm a first year who can count the number of hours I have on one hand.

Are you at a V5?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:31 pm

OP here. Thank you. I appreciate the insight/wisdom.

Just a small add-on. Do firms generally notify the juniors about their hours before taking more drastic measures?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thank you. I appreciate the insight/wisdom.

Just a small add-on. Do firms generally notify the juniors about their hours before taking more drastic measures?
I recently had a talk with my supervising partner and he said he was concerned and offered to help me find more work in other practice groups so I can boost hours. But I’ve heard that it’s rare for someone to care that much about a slow junior.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thank you. I appreciate the insight/wisdom.

Yes, a partner will usually have a talk with you about your hours. Then, will probably say you have to improve and that he'll be back to talk you in 3-6 months.

Whatislaw

Bronze

Post by Whatislaw » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:04 am

I wouldn't sweat it unless you have a specific flaw or issue from your reviews or a Partner is out to get you. It sounds like neither applies to your situation. I'd say stay active at the office and try and solicit work where appropriate, but lows come and go. Enjoy the downtime!

FeeSimpleAbsolute

New

Post by FeeSimpleAbsolute » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:26 am

jkpolk wrote:Those hours are fine for a 1st year. Work will find you, enjoy the downtime. To expand on this a little - you have to be able to roll with work flow, it's a really important part of staying sane in corporate. You'll have 300 hour months and you'll have 50 hour months. When you are in either of those types of months (or a series of one of those types of months), it seems like you'll never have the other again. But you will and it will juice you up for the reverse.

Wasting your downtime worrying about hours will make you more likely to burn out when you get busy because you'll have less left in the tank. Thinking the good times will never come again when you're in a black pit of work, 3 months deep into 250+s, that'll burn you out. Take a day off and work from home, drink a beverage, read a book.
50 hour months? If you have a 50 hour month, it's time to find a new firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Second year V-5 corp here, billed over 2000 last year with 50 and 300 hour month ranges. Pretty normal in my experience as juniors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:44 pm

FeeSimpleAbsolute wrote:
jkpolk wrote:Those hours are fine for a 1st year. Work will find you, enjoy the downtime. To expand on this a little - you have to be able to roll with work flow, it's a really important part of staying sane in corporate. You'll have 300 hour months and you'll have 50 hour months. When you are in either of those types of months (or a series of one of those types of months), it seems like you'll never have the other again. But you will and it will juice you up for the reverse.

Why are there always stupid responses like this in every single thread about hours? Do you honestly feel this way or do you simply enjoy spreading false info and scare people who are already stressed? If the former, you need a reality check. If the latter, you need therapy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:03 pm

Last year I billed over 2,000 hours, and yes, there were a few slow times. Don’t fret, instead enjoy them while you can.

Sprinkler

New

Post by Sprinkler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:40 pm

It's too slow when you can't make your bonus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:43 pm

FeeSimpleAbsolute wrote:

If your coach gives up more than 50 points in the biggest game of the year, it's time to find a new coach to worship.

In all seriousness, there can be many reasons for a 50 hour month, and one 50 hour month is certainly not a reason to find a new firm.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:17 pm

I'm just going to add that as a first year you're not going to get fired for low hours. Full stop. Maybe you have some other major issue that results in low hours and you get fired for that issue, but first years don't have much control over their workload and firms know that.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Wild Card wrote:lol I'm a first year who can count the number of hours I have on one hand.

Are you at a V5?
this is insane

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:49 pm

First year averaging 70 hours a month since December.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:26 pm

OP here. I’m guessing the above V-5 first year is exaggerating. Right?

FWIW, I’m in cap markets/banking. I am told that it has been slow due to interest rates/market volatility, but feel like that period has kinda passed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:39 pm

Seeing a lot of posts about ppl being slow lately? I haven’t been slow, but have noticed lots of juniors at my v10 are slow.

Is it just self-selection bias making it seem like everyone is slow (ie, only slow ppl respond to threads about slowness), or is this more of a systemic problem?

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:07 pm

The truth is that there's not a lot a fresh 1st year can do to rack up hours in corporate outside of diligence (takes like 6-12 months to really be useful at all). Missing your hours as a 1st year in corporate is normal. Good news, you're unlikely to miss your hours in years 2 through forever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:24 pm

First year in L&E at a big firm (think a Morgan Lewis, Proskauer, etc.). Been pretty slow, only at 84 billable hours so far this month. November (my first month), was understandably pathetic (less than 50 hours billed), December trended up to around 90, and January to 120. I've gotten pretty good substantive feedback on what I have done, but nonetheless I am starting to get concerned.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:17 am

This is fucking unreal. I've billed 110 (because of 2 week long training) 210, 209, and now 160 (which has been wonderful) since i've started. Where do you people work? I need to lateral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is fucking unreal. I've billed 110 (because of 2 week long training) 210, 209, and now 160 (which has been wonderful) since i've started. Where do you people work? I need to lateral.
Lol don't jinx it. You'll hate being slow. Time drags on forever during the day when you got nothin to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:57 pm

I know this isn't much of an original insight, but I was following all these threads about being slow and junior, and boy did it all come true. Being slow is an anxiety inducing situation, so you look for some reassurance things are okay or going to be okay. Anyway, for my hours this calendar year I had Jan: 110, Feb: 90, Mar: 79, and I was starting to get real worried. Now there's still a week left in April and I'm over 250 for the month and I am officially hoping to be slow for a while so I can deal with THAT problem for a week or two. I'll probably have more hours in April than in the entire first quarter of the year.

Anyway, just imagining me a month ago and thought I'd throw one more nugget of experience to the TLS trove. Things can change real quick.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”