Shortest time in a job before leaving? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shortest time in a job before leaving?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:35 am

Just curious to hear some stories. I joined a firm in fall of last year and now I'm thinking about leaving already after some unexpected shake ups have left me doing unfamiliar and unwanted work.

Anonymous User

Re: Shortest time in a job before leaving?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:42 am

I left a job after 8 months and 2 weeks. It simply wasn’t a great fit and I was doing “busy work” that would significantly hamper my career development. I left for my dream job and am much happier now. I actually look forward to going to go work. Take the jump but only do it once

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:05 am

A first-year recently left after three months, although I think pregnancy played a large role in her decision.

I think jumping early from a really bad fit won't hurt you as badly as the conventional wisdom says, but just don't do it more than once. OP, if you jumped now and your second job worked out for a few years, no one interviewing you for Job #3 would hold having 5 months in your first role against you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 am

A guy I graduated with quit his biglaw job (and the legal profession entirely) within a week of starting. I think he’s a preschool teacher now.

LawAndBehold

New

Post by LawAndBehold » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious to hear some stories. I joined a firm in fall of last year and now I'm thinking about leaving already after some unexpected shake ups have left me doing unfamiliar and unwanted work.
Not quit just yet, but will be looking to soon. Was in BigLaw for 5 years, switched to in-house. It’s only been 3 months but I knew from week 2 I was not going to stay. Will ride it out for a few more months but I don’t think I can ride it out for more than that. It’s not ideal but everyone hops around. I think if you have one short stint on your cv, no one will look at it strangely but 2 or 3 consecutive short stints is likely going to raise some red flags... Depends on your situation, I’d say, if it does not hurt you professionally or mentally speaking, why not wait until you have at least 1.5 years under your belt but if staying damages your career or well-being, screw it, get out and don’t look back, I’d say.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 pm

What's conventional wisdom on how long to wait to avoid any red flags? Is lateraling in Biglaw after a year fine? 18 months?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's conventional wisdom on how long to wait to avoid any red flags? Is lateraling in Biglaw after a year fine? 18 months?
Year is probably fine if it’s a one time thing. 18 months is better, and 2 years I’d say is beginning of the range where it’s totally fine from a resume perspective.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:39 pm

What would you say in another interview though about leaving so soon? That seems like the tough question to deal with?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:02 pm

LawAndBehold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just curious to hear some stories. I joined a firm in fall of last year and now I'm thinking about leaving already after some unexpected shake ups have left me doing unfamiliar and unwanted work.
Not quit just yet, but will be looking to soon. Was in BigLaw for 5 years, switched to in-house. It’s only been 3 months but I knew from week 2 I was not going to stay. Will ride it out for a few more months but I don’t think I can ride it out for more than that. It’s not ideal but everyone hops around. I think if you have one short stint on your cv, no one will look at it strangely but 2 or 3 consecutive short stints is likely going to raise some red flags... Depends on your situation, I’d say, if it does not hurt you professionally or mentally speaking, why not wait until you have at least 1.5 years under your belt but if staying damages your career or well-being, screw it, get out and don’t look back, I’d say.
What was it about your job that made you knew you were not going to stay within 2 weeks?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What would you say in another interview though about leaving so soon? That seems like the tough question to deal with?
OP here, I'll be telling folks the truth, which is that I was brought on by a partner/connection to do a specific type of work, and unfortunately as soon as I joined those projects fell through. In order to compensate, the firm decided to stick me with another partner doing work I've never done before, taking my career in a completely different and undesired direction. So now I'm redirecting course back to my desired area.

For those interested, my prior roles have been: Job 1 - 3.5 years, Job 2 - 1.5 years, Job 3 (current) - 5 months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I left a job after 8 months and 2 weeks. It simply wasn’t a great fit and I was doing “busy work” that would significantly hamper my career development. I left for my dream job and am much happier now. I actually look forward to going to go work. Take the jump but only do it once
Curious about this, if you're comfortable sharing. What practice area were you in? What kind of job did you end up leaving to? How did you know the (I'm assuming) firm wasn't a great fit--just the nature of the work you were getting or something else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:48 pm

I would never recommend taking this route to anyone, but I was at my first biglaw job for 6 months and left. 7 months into my second one, I had begun interviewing with firms. I was able to receive an offer from the third firm (it was a biglaw firm, but one that was way “worse” than my second firm). I didn’t end up taking it and stayed at my second firm. However, the story is that firms don’t always care about longevity and tenure when it comes to junior associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would never recommend taking this route to anyone, but I was at my first biglaw job for 6 months and left. 7 months into my second one, I had begun interviewing with firms. I was able to receive an offer from the third firm (it was a biglaw firm, but one that was way “worse” than my second firm). I didn’t end up taking it and stayed at my second firm. However, the story is that firms don’t always care about longevity and tenure when it comes to junior associates.
The firm I am currently at asked me if I was aimming to become partner, kind of an odd question. But that, and the fact its a midsized firm, helped me decide that this was a firm I could see myself in the long term.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

foamborn

Bronze

Post by foamborn » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Currently in the process of leaving job I've been at for less than a year. Fingers crossed. My thinking is it's better to leave than to waste time in a job you know isn't right for you.

logical seasoning

Bronze

Post by logical seasoning » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 pm

I was a DA for 6 months before I started interviewing at other jobs. It took me another 4 months to find work in a non-criminal field. Best decision I have made. If you are miserable in your current work, apply and start interviewing no matter how soon it is.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:51 pm

I worked for a firm with 20-25 lawyers for 4 years, then jumped at an opportunity to work with another solo. I did a decent amount of due diligence and nobody had a bad word to say about her.

Within the first week, I was mortified of working with her. I was navigating her crazy practice and unethical behavior and trying to practice law. Basically impossible.

I put in my notice three months in, she fired me the next day, and then I started my own practice the following day and never looked back. My resume does not include my experience with her. It says "First Firm 2014 - 2017; Solo Practice 2018 - Present."

Moral of the story -- what you do depends on your long term goals, and every situation is different. But if your concerns are ethical, get out. If it's not a good fit, try landing somewhere. You might be at the firm short enough that you don't even have to list it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:54 pm

OP here with an update:

Started interviewing not long after I made this thread, found a place I really like and got the offer last week! My last day at the current gig is next Friday, which coincidentally is 5 months to the day that I started. I agree with others that if you're not happy somewhere, it's best to cut your losses.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawAndBehold

New

Post by LawAndBehold » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here with an update:

Started interviewing not long after I made this thread, found a place I really like and got the offer last week! My last day at the current gig is next Friday, which coincidentally is 5 months to the day that I started. I agree with others that if you're not happy somewhere, it's best to cut your losses.
Congrats OP ! Could not agree more. I’m 4 months into the new job and have started the process of applying to law firms. Waited long enough to give this a fair chance. Fingers crossed, I’m next.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 pm

CONGRATS on the new job! And thanks for updating us. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am

Congrats! Were you in a biglaw firm originally and is your new employer a biglaw firm as well? I'm a first year looking to make a similar move for similar reasons.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”