How to express interest in firm not in my top geographic preference? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to express interest in firm not in my top geographic preference?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:56 pm

I have an interview scheduled with a national firm in one location, but my preference is in another location (close to family and an easier sell presumably). It's for a lateral associate position. I am hesitantly OK with this location the internal recruiting coordinator thinks I'm a good fit for, but I'm not the best at lying through my teeth and expressing feigned interest, other than I think the city reminds me of home (true, but I want to actually be home). Both cities are in the same state at least. My GPA is low enough to be omitted from resume, so I'm surprised they even called me. I don't really have any other selling points other than the emphasis on the type of work they're looking for that I placed in my resume. All in all, working here would certainly look great on my resume as this is a well-known firm in my space.

I'm also talking with another firm near home. It's a boutique firm that is not "on the map" but also my top choice based on geography, type of work/clients, and emotional investment from multiple conversations with the partners there since January. Not sure about pay differences, billing requirements, etc. but suspect similar pay. I think it's worth interviewing with the national firm at least to potentially gain leverage over the boutique firm.

The question is, what are some good ways (ideally within the realm of honest) to sell my interest to the national firm in a location where I have no family ties and loose friend ties? Thank you for any input.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Re: How to express interest in firm not in my top geographic preference?

Post by thatlawlkid » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Just honestly talk about things that you love about the area and compare them to things that you envision being in your life long term.

"yeah i just love the the atmosphere in the midwest, people seem a lot friendlier and I could really see myself starting a family here."

Or you know, just lie.

Npret

Gold

Re: How to express interest in firm not in my top geographic preference?

Post by Npret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:29 pm

“I’m excited to work for a firm with a national scope that is in a location I hope to live long term.”

Do not in any case talk about slower pace, fewer hours, etc. Talk about the lifestyle of things you hope to enjoy there. You must have something you enjoy doing.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”