Firms that permit remote arrangements Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firms that permit remote arrangements

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Is anyone aware of any big law or boutique firms that permit associates to work remotely on a full time or nearly full time basis? I am a current big law mid-level in DC, but need to move to a smaller city a few hours away for my spouse’s job. I’d love to keep doing the caliber of work I get to do here, for similar pay if possible. My firm is pretty chill about remote work but won’t agree to a formal arrangement where I could be in a city a few hours away for most of the week/month (which is totally reasonable— just wanted to clarify that this isn’t an option at my current job).

I’ve heard some boutique shops (and maybe big firms?) are letting people work remotely from smaller cities, and just travel when needed for work or to the nearest office. Is anyone aware of which firms specifically do this?

If helpful, I’d be about two hours from DC, so, if needed, could arrange to be in the office a couple of days a week.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Anonymous User

Re: Firms that permit remote arrangements

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone aware of any big law or boutique firms that permit associates to work remotely on a full time or nearly full time basis? I am a current big law mid-level in DC, but need to move to a smaller city a few hours away for my spouse’s job. I’d love to keep doing the caliber of work I get to do here, for similar pay if possible. My firm is pretty chill about remote work but won’t agree to a formal arrangement where I could be in a city a few hours away for most of the week/month (which is totally reasonable— just wanted to clarify that this isn’t an option at my current job).

I’ve heard some boutique shops (and maybe big firms?) are letting people work remotely from smaller cities, and just travel when needed for work or to the nearest office. Is anyone aware of which firms specifically do this?

If helpful, I’d be about two hours from DC, so, if needed, could arrange to be in the office a couple of days a week.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
My very low( as in close to 100) am-law 100 firm has associates/senior counsel that work full time remotely. Generally everyone worked normally at the firm for a few years then asked to go remote when they had to move, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:52 pm

I know people at 3 firms who do this (real full time attorneys, not counting retired / semi-retired partners who just have their name on an office). We all worked at the firms for at few years first and some are in special / small practice groups that wouldn't interact with others much anyway. Never heard of a big firm bringing in strangers on a no-facetime basis. There are "virtual" alternative legal service providers like Axiom, and there are remote in-house jobs posted online (especially in smaller / emerging tech companies, but I've seen some megacorps do it too if they need it to get the right person).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:42 am

Ditto the prior comments. My biglaw firm also has a few people who work almost entirely remotely, but they had a significant history of performance at a brick-and-mortar office before they requested the accommodation based on a change in personal circumstances. It's hard to imagine why a firm in a desirable, urban location would want to hire someone they don't know remotely when they have their pick of candidates who can be available in person (which is a preferable arrangement for those in the office on almost every level).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”