Lewis Brisbois Salary? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lewis Brisbois Salary?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 am

Anyone know what Lewis Brisbois pays? Do they only do insurance defense or do they do more? I was told they have insurance defense, but have other practice areas like native american law, labor & employment, etc. that aren't insurance defense? True? Lies?

Anonymous User

Re: Lewis Brisbois Salary?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:20 am

They market themselves as full service but they're known for insurance defense. They don't pay market or anywhere close to it. At best I'd assume entry level starting salary is $100k but would not be surprised if it is less.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:35 am

Wow that low, huh? Do these firms do same salary across all offices typically? Or do they adjust for places like New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco? I was hoping they'd be closer to 140k

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:27 pm

I've heard 90k-ish for midwestern offices and 120k-ish for NYC but can't confirm with hard data

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what Lewis Brisbois pays? Do they only do insurance defense or do they do more? I was told they have insurance defense, but have other practice areas like native american law, labor & employment, etc. that aren't insurance defense? True? Lies?
I worked at LBBS as a 3rd of 4th year (they don't have class years, so who knows) in a major market. I was paid $105,000 base and there was a $15,000 "incentive bonus." Meaning, if I billed 2,100 i would get $15,000. The 15,000 is distributed throughout the year on a quarterly basis after the first quarter, second quarter, and fourth quarter. You must be on track quarterly to get the bonus. However, if you miss a quarter you can always get the bonus at the end if you hit 2,100. I also heard that some Associates had different targets. A first year told me his was 1,950 and some other more experienced Associate said he was 2,200.

The firm does mostly insurance defense, but there are some non-insurance clients. I would try your best to get into a group that you can lateral easily out of. For example, Employment, IP, and/or Products Liability. The firm does a lot of insurance coverage and general liability. Lots of car accident cases for some reason. Also, toxic tort. You will get court experience and deposition experience due to the non-complexity of the cases. The support staff is not that useful. Hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Due to the low salary and high billable, this is not a place where you want to stay. The firm is quite cheap. No free soda or snacks. If you want a second monitor, you have to pay for it. The firm does not host a Christmas party for Associates. My office threw a Christmas happy hour with alcohol and appetizers, but the Partners who threw the event paid for the event out of their own pockets.

You can stop dreaming about that $140k. You won't get that at LBBS. However, I was able to lateral to Big Law from LBBS so there is that. Again, I would stress getting into a group like Employment because that will easily transfer into Big Law or even at a firm like Jackson Lewis or Ogletree which is low pay compared to Big Law, but still much higher then LBBS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what Lewis Brisbois pays? Do they only do insurance defense or do they do more? I was told they have insurance defense, but have other practice areas like native american law, labor & employment, etc. that aren't insurance defense? True? Lies?
I worked at LBBS as a 3rd of 4th year (they don't have class years, so who knows) in a major market. I was paid $105,000 base and there was a $15,000 "incentive bonus." Meaning, if I billed 2,100 i would get $15,000. The 15,000 is distributed throughout the year on a quarterly basis after the first quarter, second quarter, and fourth quarter. You must be on track quarterly to get the bonus. However, if you miss a quarter you can always get the bonus at the end if you hit 2,100. I also heard that some Associates had different targets. A first year told me his was 1,950 and some other more experienced Associate said he was 2,200.

The firm does mostly insurance defense, but there are some non-insurance clients. I would try your best to get into a group that you can lateral easily out of. For example, Employment, IP, and/or Products Liability. The firm does a lot of insurance coverage and general liability. Lots of car accident cases for some reason. Also, toxic tort. You will get court experience and deposition experience due to the non-complexity of the cases. The support staff is not that useful. Hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Due to the low salary and high billable, this is not a place where you want to stay. The firm is quite cheap. No free soda or snacks. If you want a second monitor, you have to pay for it. The firm does not host a Christmas party for Associates. My office threw a Christmas happy hour with alcohol and appetizers, but the Partners who threw the event paid for the event out of their own pockets.

You can stop dreaming about that $140k. You won't get that at LBBS. However, I was able to lateral to Big Law from LBBS so there is that. Again, I would stress getting into a group like Employment because that will easily transfer into Big Law or even at a firm like Jackson Lewis or Ogletree which is low pay compared to Big Law, but still much higher then LBBS.
Thank you so much for your insight!! I'm really surprised they're paying $105,000 base for a 3rd or 4th year though. (Not doubting you, just surprised). I'm was considering Lewis Brisbois for applying to later but that salary is concerning. I'm currently making $90k at another firm, but I'm concerned about whether or not I'm getting enough interest in my lateral search. I don't have the best of grades. I was about middle of my class. Would you recommend taking a job at Lewis and then lateraling later after reaching my 3rd or 4th year of practice? I guess the question is whether or not their name is a boost to the resume if I'm coming from a less known firm? I just wrapped up my 2nd year of practice. Like how much of a salary increase would make a lateral sensible?

Btw - what do you mean you pay for a 2nd monitor? Like you pay the firm literally to have a 2nd monitor??

Any other firms you would recommend for an area like the Bay Area?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you so much for your insight!! I'm really surprised they're paying $105,000 base for a 3rd or 4th year though. (Not doubting you, just surprised). I'm was considering Lewis Brisbois for applying to later but that salary is concerning. I'm currently making $90k at another firm, but I'm concerned about whether or not I'm getting enough interest in my lateral search. I don't have the best of grades. I was about middle of my class. Would you recommend taking a job at Lewis and then lateraling later after reaching my 3rd or 4th year of practice? I guess the question is whether or not their name is a boost to the resume if I'm coming from a less known firm? I just wrapped up my 2nd year of practice. Like how much of a salary increase would make a lateral sensible?

Btw - what do you mean you pay for a 2nd monitor? Like you pay the firm literally to have a 2nd monitor??

Lateraling to make 105k does not seem like a huge increase when you could essentially be making $125,000 to $190,000 if you simply tried applying to open positions. That should be your initial focus, not doing a lateral move to another insurance defense firm for a marginal pay increase. The name of your law firm is not that big of a deal. I have seen people get Big Law after working at some very shitty firms.

If you want a second monitor, you have to buy it with your own money from best buy or amazon, etc. Then the firm will install it for you. You get to keep it if you leave since it is your monitor.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lateraling to make 105k does not seem like a huge increase when you could essentially be making $125,000 to $190,000 if you simply tried applying to open positions. That should be your initial focus, not doing a lateral move to another insurance defense firm for a marginal pay increase. The name of your law firm is not that big of a deal. I have seen people get Big Law after working at some very shitty firms.

If you want a second monitor, you have to buy it with your own money from best buy or amazon, etc. Then the firm will install it for you. You get to keep it if you leave since it is your monitor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:57 am

I appreciate the advice! Not a lot of interest in the resume so far for Big Law salary. What kind of resume would one build to get to Big Law from a shitty firm? I was thinking firm name was a big piece, but maybe not?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:34 am

I’m at the Denver office. 1st year salary ranges from $110-$120k depending on your practice area. Billable hour requirement can range between 1800-2150, again, depending on practice area. They have this weird structure where the more you bill, the more $ you make. Salary/raises arent set in stone here like most firms. Summer associate salary is $1500

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I worked in a big law L&E group and we got several partners and associates from LBBS. I agree that it will open doors.

However, I was not happy being in L&E (mindlessly easy law, low value cases that settle after 6 months of churning out the same discovery, terrible P's lawyers) but it does have lots of lateral and exit opportunities. Almost every associate that wanted to got an in-house gig after 5+ years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:16 pm

Does anyone know what if they offer relocation + grad bonus for first-years?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:49 pm

lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:27 pm

Is there any possibility of working in their corporate practice? Hard to get into? Any knowledge of the types of deals/work/clients they have? Thank you for your help!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:37 am

Anyone know which Big Law or L&E Specialty Shops (e.g., Littler, Jackson, Ogletree) typically like taking L&E Associates from Lewis Brisbois as laterals? And do you know what year level those Lewis Brisbois laterals were?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:27 pm
Is there any possibility of working in their corporate practice? Hard to get into? Any knowledge of the types of deals/work/clients they have? Thank you for your help!
Can’t help here but worked opposite them on a reasonable sized M&a deal. The three Partners involved were a complete idiots and didn’t know what they were doing. Associate was on top of his shit and Constantly was correcting the partners’ mistakes. Not sure if we got the c-team but was an odd experience.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:37 am
Anyone know which Big Law or L&E Specialty Shops (e.g., Littler, Jackson, Ogletree) typically like taking L&E Associates from Lewis Brisbois as laterals? And do you know what year level those Lewis Brisbois laterals were?
it does not really matter. What matters is that you gain employment experience, done depositions, prepared for trial, done msj, motion to dismiss, appeared in court. If you have done all of this then you are ready to leave LBBS. You can easily leave after 2 years. Longer you stay the more experience you have. You can go on LinkedIn and see where LBBS people lateral to. You might have to do two laterals. I have seen people go from Gordon Rees to Ogletree to Baker MacKenzie.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I worked at one of those shops and I know of several people who joined from left Lewis Brisbois at various levels (a couple years in to partners). I know that the other shops routinely hired from LB as well. The work is indistinguishable so they just hire as needed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:37 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 am
Anonymous User wrote:
it does not really matter. What matters is that you gain employment experience, done depositions, prepared for trial, done msj, motion to dismiss, appeared in court. If you have done all of this then you are ready to leave LBBS. You can easily leave after 2 years. Longer you stay the more experience you have. You can go on LinkedIn and see where LBBS people lateral to. You might have to do two laterals. I have seen people go from Gordon Rees to Ogletree to Baker MacKenzie.
Thank you all! And thanks Sparty99 for the specific tasks that I should check off before considering lateraling!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”