3L Biglaw Hiring Timing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Biglaw Hiring Timing

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:30 pm

This information is probably on here already so my apologies, but what is 3L biglaw firm hiring exactly like, especially in terms of timing? Fwiw, 2L with an SA lined up looking to change firm/city from smaller market to major market (one where my firm doesn't have an office) due to changes in personal circumstances. SA is scheduled to run into August and can't be changed, definitely overlaps my school's OCI. Insular market so hints that I'm trying to leave will certainly be viewed negatively. I'm happy with the position on the off chance I can't move and will be giving it my all this summer to get an offer obviously, but I don't want to forclose opportunities elsewhere. When should I start mass mailing, etc.?

Anonymous User

Re: 3L Biglaw Hiring Timing

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This information is probably on here already so my apologies, but what is 3L biglaw firm hiring exactly like, especially in terms of timing? Fwiw, 2L with an SA lined up looking to change firm/city from smaller market to major market (one where my firm doesn't have an office) due to changes in personal circumstances. SA is scheduled to run into August and can't be changed, definitely overlaps my school's OCI. Insular market so hints that I'm trying to leave will certainly be viewed negatively. I'm happy with the position on the off chance I can't move and will be giving it my all this summer to get an offer obviously, but I don't want to forclose opportunities elsewhere. When should I start mass mailing, etc.?
I know a few people who have gotten hired like this with success in the past couple years. Send your materials no later than mid-July. Assuming by "major market" you mean NYC, and also that you have good credentials/school, you'll have a decent shot. You may also have another thing going in your favor - firms SUBSTANTIALLY decreased their summer class intake for summer 2019, so assuming the economy keeps chugging along and deal flow is steady, it could increase your chances.

Which begs the question, corporate or lit? If the latter, forget about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This information is probably on here already so my apologies, but what is 3L biglaw firm hiring exactly like, especially in terms of timing? Fwiw, 2L with an SA lined up looking to change firm/city from smaller market to major market (one where my firm doesn't have an office) due to changes in personal circumstances. SA is scheduled to run into August and can't be changed, definitely overlaps my school's OCI. Insular market so hints that I'm trying to leave will certainly be viewed negatively. I'm happy with the position on the off chance I can't move and will be giving it my all this summer to get an offer obviously, but I don't want to forclose opportunities elsewhere. When should I start mass mailing, etc.?
I know a few people who have gotten hired like this with success in the past couple years. Send your materials no later than mid-July. Assuming by "major market" you mean NYC, and also that you have good credentials/school, you'll have a decent shot. You may also have another thing going in your favor - firms SUBSTANTIALLY decreased their summer class intake for summer 2019, so assuming the economy keeps chugging along and deal flow is steady, it could increase your chances.

Which begs the question, corporate or lit? If the latter, forget about it.
Thanks for the response! And yes, NYC is where I'll be applying. T14, the slightest bit on the good side of median, transactional. Biggest downside is that my current firm is virtually unheard of outside of my market so no real brand name recognition of a Vault firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:38 pm

I'm in the exact same boat in terms of type of SA lined up for the summer and credentials except trying to land in DC. Would love to hear from more people who have successfully navigated this. Is there any risk to word getting back to your firm that you are trying to leave?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:04 pm

Would love to hear more on this as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 pm

Bump. Any 3L hiring success stories from this cycle? Would be forever grateful for any sort of feedback/advice :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:05 am

I struck out at OCI at a T14 last year and was able to snag a “3L Biglaw” job through mass mailing this fall. Start sending out emails in mid-July, then send follow-up emails every 3-4 weeks or so to every firm that does not respond (which in my experience was ~80+% of the firms each “round” of emails). Also keep an eye on your school’s Symplicty, LinkedIn, and Indeed, as at least a handful of open positions will be advertised through those channels.

As far as timing goes, it really varies. However, there is not likely to be much movement during the month of August, as most firms will have most of their recruiting efforts focused on 2L OCI and callbacks. For me personally, I had zero positive responses until a round of follow-up emails I sent in October, when I had two Big Law firms respond and ultimately received an offer from one of them. I also had a handful of firms throughout the process tell me they had some interest, but that they wouldn’t know their hiring needs until winter, and to check back with them in a few months (but I had already accepted a position by that time).

Hope this helps some.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:This information is probably on here already so my apologies
Yeah, there quite a few threads touching on this, including the pinned thread in this forum. Wade through the forums and you can piece together helpful info.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=192753
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... uiting+oci
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... lit=3L+OCI
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10376631
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10341145

Otherwise, short answer is (1) work hard this summer and gain as much experience/learn as much as you can, (2) keep networking, (3) keep applying and keep your eye on openings throughout the summer and especially towards the end of the summer, (4) check in with your school's career office and the job posting page/symplicity, and (5) don't burn bridges at your current firm. There's no magic timeline to 3L recruiting since a lot depends on firms figuring out their need in certain groups and overall, especially if they no-offer or are turned down by their SA's. Don't expect things to happen right away after the summer--some apps will open up then, but also through the winter and also through the spring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”