Cyber Security Law Potential?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MurderafterMidnight

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Cyber Security Law Potential?

Postby MurderafterMidnight » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:48 am

Very interesting article, How's the demand for guys with this type of experience at the moment? WHat is the potential?

https://www.crains.com/article/news/law ... ing-demand

MurderafterMidnight

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: Cyber Security Law Potential?

Postby MurderafterMidnight » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:13 pm

WOW........113 views no response? Anybody?

User avatar
CardozoLaw09

Gold
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Cyber Security Law Potential?

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Someone from my graduating class now works for Google as a Program Manager (Data Privacy) after having worked as a global privacy analyst

Take from that what you will. Overall I think there is a growing demand for this type of experience so taking a couple classes in law school on this topic, which I think is an interesting topic, probably wouldn't hurt.

Neff

Bronze
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: Cyber Security Law Potential?

Postby Neff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:21 pm

Yes, it is a growing area in Biglaw. But since it looks like you're a 0L, my advice is that picking a (non-IP) practice area before LS is kind of pointless. You just need to get in to the best LS you can and try to get the best grades when you get in, so you can maximize your chances of getting a market-paying job. That's it. Don't go to a LS just because it advertises it is ranked #3 nationwide in cybersecurity or some bullshit like that.

Since it looks like you have an engineering background, hard IP is the way to go for you IMO. Cybersecurity is still a niche area (in both Biglaw and boutiques), and it is not at all easy to turn your interest/prior work experience into a law job in that field unless you go to a higher ranked LS/do OCI and 2L summer at big firm, etc. Whereas tons of successful IP practitioners went to lower ranked schools.

MurderafterMidnight

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: Cyber Security Law Potential?

Postby MurderafterMidnight » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:48 pm

Neff wrote:Yes, it is a growing area in Biglaw. But since it looks like you're a 0L, my advice is that picking a (non-IP) practice area before LS is kind of pointless. You just need to get in to the best LS you can and try to get the best grades when you get in, so you can maximize your chances of getting a market-paying job. That's it. Don't go to a LS just because it advertises it is ranked #3 nationwide in cybersecurity or some bullshit like that.

Since it looks like you have an engineering background, hard IP is the way to go for you IMO. Cybersecurity is still a niche area (in both Biglaw and boutiques), and it is not at all easy to turn your interest/prior work experience into a law job in that field unless you go to a higher ranked LS/do OCI and 2L summer at big firm, etc. Whereas tons of successful IP practitioners went to lower ranked schools.


Thanks for the advice.....I was curios....since i will be only in school part time and still working full time, I'm thinking of moving from my engineering role to a cyber security role in my company to get that experience. Thoughts? Do you think cyber security growth will be big in the next 5-10 years?

Neff

Bronze
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: Cyber Security Law Potential?

Postby Neff » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:23 am

MurderafterMidnight wrote:
Neff wrote:Yes, it is a growing area in Biglaw. But since it looks like you're a 0L, my advice is that picking a (non-IP) practice area before LS is kind of pointless. You just need to get in to the best LS you can and try to get the best grades when you get in, so you can maximize your chances of getting a market-paying job. That's it. Don't go to a LS just because it advertises it is ranked #3 nationwide in cybersecurity or some bullshit like that.

Since it looks like you have an engineering background, hard IP is the way to go for you IMO. Cybersecurity is still a niche area (in both Biglaw and boutiques), and it is not at all easy to turn your interest/prior work experience into a law job in that field unless you go to a higher ranked LS/do OCI and 2L summer at big firm, etc. Whereas tons of successful IP practitioners went to lower ranked schools.


Thanks for the advice.....I was curios....since i will be only in school part time and still working full time, I'm thinking of moving from my engineering role to a cyber security role in my company to get that experience. Thoughts? Do you think cyber security growth will be big in the next 5-10 years?


I can see the growth continuing, but really I don't have a crystal ball. Moving from engineering to cybersecurity at your current job is totally up to you. The effect of such a move on enhancing the likelihood of getting a job in cybersecurity law is pretty marginal IMO. Should you get a chance to summer at a firm with a cybersecurity practice, my guess is anyone with remotely a technology/engineering background will suffice to check the box for prior experience. In Biglaw, they would not care whether you had an engineering vs. cybersecurity role at your previous job. Just take the relevant classes in LS if you are interested.

The bottom line is ranking of school + grades in LS is account for 90% of likelihood of getting a good job post-LS; prior work experience is only 10%.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.