Jurisdictions that adopt/are adopting UBE - Persons who passed prior bar exam Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Chaucer1343

Bronze

Jurisdictions that adopt/are adopting UBE - Persons who passed prior bar exam

Post by Chaucer1343 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Note: This is in the Legal Employment section, because it affects employment opportunities.

If the jurisdiction in which I took the bar examination administered the MEE, MPT, and MBE prior to adopting the UBE, does my exam score subsequently qualify as a UBE score?

No. The UBE is more than the sum of its components. It is uniformly administered, graded, and scored by the jurisdictions that adopt it. The fact that a jurisdiction administered the MEE, MPT, and MBE does not qualify the score as a UBE score.

http://www.ncbex.org/exams/ube/score-portability/

Does not seem good for people who took a non-UBE test. Their scores and job prospects are diminished/weakened by the move of a jurisdiction to UBE (i.e. no additional bar exam barrier for the local market). At the same time, the persons who took the prior non-UBE test don't receive a benefit from the move of the jurisdiction to UBE (to the contrary, they are seemingly penalized).

Why shouldn't people who passed a prior non-UBE bar exam under the old game, be allowed to have their scores converted for purposes of the new game?

I am not saying that competition or a uniform bar exam is a bad thing; I always saw having to re-take the bar exam for different jurisdictions as a sham. At the same time, this just seems to make the situation into a bigger sham for persons who took a non-UBE test in a jurisdiction that subsequently adopts UBE.

Anonymous User

Re: Jurisdictions that adopt/are adopting UBE - Persons who passed prior bar exam

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:17 pm

I know the feeling. MA changed to UBE the first day of the NY UBE bar exam three years ago while I was taking both states. I almost skipped taking MA. But UBE only lasts 3-4 years so you technically have to swear into a state before then or you have to wait to waive in.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”