I Got Fired This Week Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Npret

Gold

Re: I Got Fired This Week

Post by Npret » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 pm

How are you doing OP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:55 pm

Npret wrote:How are you doing OP?
I'm fine! I have an interview coming up with a preferred federal agency on Thursday. I'm excited yet a little nervous.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got fired from my V1 firm after my first year. Happened pretty frequently, and most of it appears as elective. Still got the bonus, was on the website as long as I needed, etc. Was a huge pain in the ass but landed on my feet (in my opinion, at least).

Good luck.
A bit confused. Does "V1" mean Cravath, or "V50," or "V100"?
The former.
Without outing yourself, did you do something seriously wrong?

My firm occasionally fires associates after just 1 year and 6 months. It's bad. I think they're given the talk at the 1 year, 3 months juncture, and then they're allowed to stay on the website for another 3 months.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:38 am

Wild Card wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got fired from my V1 firm after my first year. Happened pretty frequently, and most of it appears as elective. Still got the bonus, was on the website as long as I needed, etc. Was a huge pain in the ass but landed on my feet (in my opinion, at least).

Good luck.
The former.

My firm occasionally fires associates after just 1 year and 6 months. It's bad. I think they're given the talk at the 1 year, 3 months juncture, and then they're allowed to stay on the website for another 3 months.
Does your firm just do it based on personality / attitude or "major" fuck-ups (if a major fuck up happens all the time by junior associates at a firm, it sounds like a management and training problem)

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Npret wrote:How are you doing OP?
I'm fine! I have an interview coming up with a preferred federal agency on Thursday. I'm excited yet a little nervous.
Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

Good luck.
The former.

I wish that was the case at my v100. I’m a stub and seriously under the gun and have been informally asked to start looking before my first review without a major fuckup

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

Good luck.
The former.

I wish that was the case at my v100. I’m a stub and seriously under the gun and have been informally asked to start looking before my first review without a major fuckup
Probably not much consolation, but if this is the case, they likely over-hired and don't really have work for you. Especially if you summered there, it would be quite unusual for a firm to give up on someone that quickly unless there was a compelling economic reason.

Saltnpeppa1

New

Post by Saltnpeppa1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:55 pm

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

Good luck.
The former.

Probably not much consolation, but if this is the case, they likely over-hired and don't really have work for you. Especially if you summered there, it would be quite unusual for a firm to give up on someone that quickly unless there was a compelling economic reason.

Ya I would absolutely not take that personally. They definitely just over-hired and now are trying to scale back.

esther0123

Bronze

Post by esther0123 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LBJ's Hair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

Good luck.
The former.
weird flex
I meant that almost every firm is firing people all the time, including firms like my former firm that try to hide it from the associates. Many people come in thinking that they have 3-5 years before the pushing out begins and that's simply not the case.
What happened to have firing happen in such a short period of time? Was it litigation or corporate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”