How to deal with office politics? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to deal with office politics?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Npret

Gold

Re: How to deal with office politics?

Post by Npret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:11 pm

It sounds like you don’t have a job. You need to be out looking for work. You’re getting to the point where firms won’t hire you until after you pass the bar.

What have you been doing?

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:08 pm

I don’t think this has to do with office politics. If multiple partners in office A didn’t like you, it may have more to do with your work quality/personality.

I guess for the office politics part, if the partner in office B wasn’t able to get you an offer, you shouldn’t try any longer. You’re wasting your time waiting for an offer that isn’t going to come. If he had enough pull, you would never have been no-offered.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:22 pm

2013 wrote:I don’t think this has to do with office politics. If multiple partners in office A didn’t like you, it may have more to do with your work quality/personality.

I guess for the office politics part, if the partner in office B wasn’t able to get you an offer, you shouldn’t try any longer. You’re wasting your time waiting for an offer that isn’t going to come. If he had enough pull, you would never have been no-offered.
Agreed. It sounds like OP wants a job at an office of a firm that no offered them. I don’t understand what OP expects here?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm hesitant to read too much into a single post, but...
Anonymous User wrote:gave me bad review while I did a reasonable work
Anonymous User wrote:I am still stuck in the middle as 3L
I have no clue whether you're a native English speaker or not, OP, but if the above is at all representative of your writing, that may be where the no-offer came from. I can very well see seniors getting bent out of shape if they had to correct your work product for grammar.

For now, definitely keep hustling for a job. As the others have said ITT, don't hang your hopes on getting your no-offer rescinded - it most likely isn't going to happen. If you're not a native English speaker, I also recommend spending some additional time improving your writing skills. This isn't as urgent as getting a job, of course, but good writing is critical in any legal job. You don't want to be reviewed badly or let go from your future job due to the same writing issue coming up again.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Split my summer in 2 offices, more time in office A than in office B. Really wanted to join office B but office A partners got angry, no-offered me, and gave me bad review while I did a reasonable work, made it hard for office B to hire me. Office B partner really likes me and gave me a very good recommendation for job search, still asked me for help from time to time, tried to hire me into the office but I am still stuck in the middle as 3L. Kind of scary as last semester starts. What should I do?

BTW, I started hustling for jobs recently.
Continue the job hustle. Unless B is a rainmaker or in a high level position at the firm, there's likely not much they can do. They probably feel bad for you, but why would they go to bat and stick their reputation on the line to fight for you, especially if multiple partners didn't want you at the firm?

If I were you, I would maintain good rapport with partner B and use them as a reference and potential source for a job referral depending on how close of a relationship you have with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”