In-House to DOJ Attorney Advisor Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In-House to DOJ Attorney Advisor

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:16 pm

I lucked into an in-house role right out of law school with a major financial institution (think Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley) but I would love to eventually work as an attorney advisor to one of the federal agencies under the DOJ. My current work is obviously not relevant at all so for this to succeed I’m pretty much just counting on the prestige of my current employer and the fact I was picked up right out of law school to get me in the door. Is this a realistic hope or do these jobs all get picked up by former AUSAs and Big Law folks?

nixy

Gold

Re: In-House to DOJ Attorney Advisor

Post by nixy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:19 pm

The difficulty (and desirability) of getting an attorney advisor position varies a lot based on the agency. There are plenty of these positions that absolutely don’t require being an AUSA/biglaw. What agencies are you talking about?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 pm

I was really just looking at some of the major DOJ agencies like FBI and DEA.

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Post by TheProsecutor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Those don't strike me as necessarily needing Biglaw/AUSA. In fact I imagine many of the attorney advisors there are looking to become AUSAs. Anyways, I would do try to do some internal investigations, regulatory work, or policies/procedures (corporate governance) work at your current gig and then apply to AA positions if that's what you really want to do next.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”