Crickets after lateral screener - bad sign? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Crickets after lateral screener - bad sign?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:44 pm

I had a screener a week before Christmas and I still have no idea if I'm moving forward. I reached out to the firm's lateral recruiting contact early last week and was told she should have an update for me by the end of the week. End of the week has came and gone. No word. I applied directly, no recruiter. Is the fact I haven't heard anything yet a bad sign?

I know I'll eventually hear something but the waiting is anxiety inducing. I really want to get out of NYC and be near family.

objctnyrhnr

Re: Crickets after lateral screener - bad sign?

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm

A wise person once told me that, in the context of the lateral job search, you will be in a much better mental state if you assume you’ve been dinged after every interview. That way, you move on with your search in full force and you aren’t left wondering and thinking in this way. Of course, that’s way easier said than done.

OP, I’ve been there. Had a 9 or so month long lateral search to target market with my share of ups, downs, dings and almost-but-not-quite’s. Within that, the time from one round to the next or final round to offer or submission to first interview really ran the gamut. People can offer anecdotal evidence on way or the other, but you really just can’t know anything based on a number of days that have passed (particularly in biglaw lateral search).

You can either relax and take a “I’m in until I’m out” mindset, or you can do what I mentioned above and assume everything’s a ding until you hear otherwise.

Doing something in the middle will drive you nuts.

Good luck.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:11 pm

I am in the process of lateraling. There seems to be no method to the madness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:18 pm

I once waited 3 months for an offer.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a screener a week before Christmas and I still have no idea if I'm moving forward. I reached out to the firm's lateral recruiting contact early last week and was told she should have an update for me by the end of the week. End of the week has came and gone. No word. I applied directly, no recruiter. Is the fact I haven't heard anything yet a bad sign?

I know I'll eventually hear something but the waiting is anxiety inducing. I really want to get out of NYC and be near family.
All bets are off for each firm's lateral process. Because there rarely is a set structure/time frame in place where a recruiting/OCI team holds the hiring committee accountable like during OCI, the lateral process is usually at the whims of the applicable hiring manager/partner's schedule, calendar and deal/case load. An urgent client matter, vacation or unexpected travel obligation could've derailed the timeline and disrupt the process.

I wouldn't give up. I would do a friendly check in by the end of the week. Are you applying to other opportunities? If so, you can use those timelines as a basis to check in (to avoid pestering/annoying your contact).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Thank you all for commenting! Your stories made me feel better despite the fact that nothing can really help me figure out where I stand. This is the only place I've applied to as I'm a first year and I haven't found any other recent grad "Biglaw" opportunities in this very small market. I sent a quick follow up email today. I have a mountain of work to attend to so hopefully I can focus on that instead of daydreaming about leaving NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”