1L top 20%, clerkship or SA applications? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ntxatxhtx

New

1L top 20%, clerkship or SA applications?

Post by ntxatxhtx » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:55 pm

I'm a 1L at a ~T50 school where the top of the class usually lands big law interviews at OCI. I'm not super into big law, but cast my line to a couple and didn't get invited. That's cool, really I just want to be paid and get some varied experience. Is it worth it to keep applying to firms or should I just try to land a judicial clerkship? To me a clerkship is kind of a safety net that counts as good experience for any type of law (and can also get class credit).

I'm in the top 20%, had three years of decent (non-legal) work experience after undergrad, and went to a good undergrad with an okay GPA.

QContinuum

Re: 1L top 20%, clerkship or SA applications?

Post by QContinuum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:14 pm

I'd apply to clerkships. You can certainly keep applying to firms (you have nothing to lose), but I wouldn't count on getting a firm gig for 1L summer. Even T14 students routinely struggle to land 1L SAs. 1L SAs are generally reserved for URMs (note: firms have differing definitions of qualifying URMs for diversity SAs), folks with science backgrounds pursuing patent law, and folks with Texas ties looking to work in TX (Houston/Dallas).

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:01 am

1L SA is going to be tough no matter what your grades are - even the firms that have 100+ spots for 2Ls may only have 1-3 for 1Ls. What you do 1L summer doesn't really matter as long as you get something legal. People at my school (T25) did everything from in-house to judicial internships to working for Legal Aid, and they all got biglaw during OCI. You're not out of reach to get biglaw as a 2L, no matter what you do this summer. The only important thing would be to keep your grades up (and improve a bit, if you can).

ntxatxhtx

New

Post by ntxatxhtx » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm

floatie wrote:1L SA is going to be tough no matter what your grades are - even the firms that have 100+ spots for 2Ls may only have 1-3 for 1Ls. What you do 1L summer doesn't really matter as long as you get something legal. People at my school (T25) did everything from in-house to judicial internships to working for Legal Aid, and they all got biglaw during OCI. You're not out of reach to get biglaw as a 2L, no matter what you do this summer. The only important thing would be to keep your grades up (and improve a bit, if you can).
Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. I'm hoping to inch up to top 15% by the end of this semester; it's not out of reach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”