Law Firm to In-House - Real Estate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
relawlman

New

Law Firm to In-House - Real Estate

Post by relawlman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:16 pm

I'm a midlevel associate in a firm's commercial real estate practice (primarily lender-side financing for mid to large loans with a bit of all other real estate type work mixed in) and would ideally like to go in-house after another 3-5 years. I've been trying to do research on the transition generally but have not been able to find any write-ups from other real estate attorneys that have done the same, and what their experience has been like as an in-house attorney (i.e. what they do in-house, how it compares to their firm work, etc.). Has any real estate attorney here gone the same route that could share?

Anonymous User

Re: Law Firm to In-House - Real Estate

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:00 pm

relawlman wrote:I'm a midlevel associate in a firm's commercial real estate practice (primarily lender-side financing for mid to large loans with a bit of all other real estate type work mixed in) and would ideally like to go in-house after another 3-5 years. I've been trying to do research on the transition generally but have not been able to find any write-ups from other real estate attorneys that have done the same, and what their experience has been like as an in-house attorney (i.e. what they do in-house, how it compares to their firm work, etc.). Has any real estate attorney here gone the same route that could share?
Sounds like you're more of a finance attorney than a dirt lawyer. You will need to beef up the dirt side of your practice as most in house jobs would like some finance experience, but the skills they really want relate PSAs, leases, development agreements, etc. Maybe a bank or a company that purchases RE backed loans would be interested in your current skill set.

The type of work depends on the company. Some you primarily manage outside counsel, others you primarily draft documents like you would as outside counsel. I've interviewed with both types.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”