Any Interest in Interview Coaching? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dknightisyoung

New

Any Interest in Interview Coaching?

Post by dknightisyoung » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:11 am

Hi everyone, I wanted to post to see if there's interest in interview coaching for OCI (especially for 1Ls!). I massively outperformed my grades/resume at OCI (17 CB, 8/9 offers) and it was absolutely because of my interviewing. I know most school career services offer mock interviews but generally they seem pretty unhelpful. I'm thinking of 1 on 1 detailed coaching meaning I'll ask questions and help formulate responses/teach how to project confidence/anything else that might need work. What do y'all think? Are people even willing to pay for this? I know med school interview packages cost upwards of thousands of dollars and regular LSAT/SAT/subjects tutoring can be over hundreds of dollars/hr. I don't want this to be cost prohibitive but I also don't want to spend a lot of my time for free.

Maybe I should just start a Youtube channel haha, thanks for input in advance folks. And if this is totally crazy and douchey, let me know.

Silver

Re: Any Interest in Interview Coaching?

Post by 2013 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 am

In order to try to sell that you overly performed, you probably should mention what tier school you go to, your prior experience, and your ranking/grades.

If you’re median at a T6, this isn’t going to be helpful to a significant majority of people because they won’t even get in front of the interviewers.

It’s not douchey, but you’ve offered literally no info regarding your background.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 am

2013 wrote:In order to try to sell that you overly performed, you probably should mention what tier school you go to, your prior experience, and your ranking/grades.
URM status would also be helpful.

Also, being able to do something doesn't necessarily equate to being able to reach how to do said thing. That said, if you can teach the skill, I think it would be a very valuable service.

I know my school offered interview coaching from not just counselors who were way too nice and complimentary but from an actual interview coach who would actually give incisive criticism. You just had to go out of your way to find out about the coach so for 1Ls considering this, exhaust your school's resources first before ponying up cash.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:49 pm

In addition to what was already said, being good at something doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be good at coaching others. You may not even be aware of some of the things that made you a good interviewer in the room, much less how to teach someone with a different personality type to achieve similar results.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:07 pm

a 50% callback to offer ratio isn't amazing, like certainly not enough to justify actually charging people money for interview coaching lmao. mine was substantially better, I conducted on-campus recruiting for years at my old job before law school so I'm relatively "experienced" at it, and I would never, ever charge classmates money for doing a mock screener with them. im just like, a fellow student who's done a lot of soft-skill interviews over the years - idk if I can actually teach you anything

if you wanna help people out ahead of OCI, organize a program with the 3Ls in one of the students org at your law school and do it *for free*, like the rest of us

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:32 pm

2013 wrote:In order to try to sell that you overly performed, you probably should mention what tier school you go to, your prior experience, and your ranking/grades.

If you’re median at a T6, this isn’t going to be helpful to a significant majority of people because they won’t even get in front of the interviewers.

It’s not douchey, but you’ve offered literally no info regarding your background.
Thanks for the tip. I'm at lower T14, bottom third of the class, straight through school, no WE
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
URM status would also be helpful.

Also, being able to do something doesn't necessarily equate to being able to reach how to do said thing. That said, if you can teach the skill, I think it would be a very valuable service.

I know my school offered interview coaching from not just counselors who were way too nice and complimentary but from an actual interview coach who would actually give incisive criticism. You just had to go out of your way to find out about the coach so for 1Ls considering this, exhaust your school's resources first before ponying up cash.
Non URM. I've coached a couple of people so far who had gotten interviews at banking/consulting/law firms but kept getting rejected. After spending a couple of hours teaching them how to present their answers and themselves they all went on to get good jobs almost immediately. My sample size isn't that big though so maybe them getting jobs had absolutely nothing to do with me.

*Also yes to the 1Ls exhausting school resources before paying cash. I'm not trying to rip people off, just offering another option for mock interviewing.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:In addition to what was already said, being good at something doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be good at coaching others. You may not even be aware of some of the things that made you a good interviewer in the room, much less how to teach someone with a different personality type to achieve similar results.
True that. However I have received a good amount of feedback from people who have interviewed me, from law firm partners to career services staff to young associates to recruiters. And I think there are some general stuff that makes people give good interviews like coming across as a type of person someone would want to work with. I should probably get more feedback though and see if there are commonalities between what they say so I can have a more accurate understanding of my interviewing strengths.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:a 50% callback to offer ratio isn't amazing, like certainly not enough to justify actually charging people money for interview coaching lmao. mine was substantially better, I conducted on-campus recruiting for years at my old job before law school so I'm relatively "experienced" at it, and I would never, ever charge classmates money for doing a mock screener with them. im just like, a fellow student who's done a lot of soft-skill interviews over the years - idk if I can actually teach you anything

if you wanna help people out ahead of OCI, organize a program with the 3Ls in one of the students org at your law school and do it *for free*, like the rest of us
First off, your name is hilarious and creative.

Second, my bad for the confusion. I meant I got 15+ callbacks in total but, I only ended up doing 9 of them which resulted in 8 offers.

I think what I'd do is a free mock screener and give general feedback, and if the student wanted actual coaching try to come up with an accessible price.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dknightisyoung

New

Post by dknightisyoung » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Also apologies for the anon replies... I clicked the wrong quote button. They're all me.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 am

I disagree with posters that say you shouldn't charge for coaching. It may not even only be for classmates--though you could certainly offer a classmate discount or something like that. It's a service. It's worth what people are willing to pay for it. It's important that you give yourself permission to make money. The only question should be whether or not it's worth paying for. A ~90% CB-->Offer rate is certainly good though.

Some last questions might be:
1. Where were the CBs? It would be less impressive if you landed a mix of NLJ250s very unselective V100s, which is standard fair as opposed to a mix of V10s and selective V100s like Boies.
2. Which firms ultimately offered you? Again, it'd be very impressive for someone at the bottom 1/3 of a T14 to get a V10 offer.
3. Which firm didn't offer you?
3. Are you extremely attractive? As a savvy consumer, I would want to know this. IME, looks and personality are tied for #2 factor for OCI performance and not really something that can be helped.

You obviously don't have to answer these questions for my sake, but these are things you want to consider in advertising this new venture or when pitching to people.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:39 am

If OP wants to charge for interviewing, OP needs more proof of expertise. I haven’t seen it. Sure he might think he’s great at interviewing, but apparently half the firms he interviewed with didn’t agree.

OP needs more experience with interviewing before they start charging friends and classmates. OP is only a student that has had a handful of interviews at OCI. OP may think they are an expert, but they aren’t, not even
close. I did biglaw interviews for years and I don’t think I know enough to charge someone.

Of course OP can money off the people if OP wants to do so. That’s on OP.

dknightisyoung

New

Post by dknightisyoung » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 pm

BrainsyK wrote:I disagree with posters that say you shouldn't charge for coaching. It may not even only be for classmates--though you could certainly offer a classmate discount or something like that. It's a service. It's worth what people are willing to pay for it. It's important that you give yourself permission to make money. The only question should be whether or not it's worth paying for. A ~90% CB-->Offer rate is certainly good though.

1. Where were the CBs? It would be less impressive if you landed a mix of NLJ250s very unselective V100s, which is standard fair as opposed to a mix of V10s and selective V100s like Boies.
2. Which firms ultimately offered you? Again, it'd be very impressive for someone at the bottom 1/3 of a T14 to get a V10 offer.
3. Are you extremely attractive? As a savvy consumer, I would want to know this. IME, looks and personality are tied for #2 factor for OCI performance and not really something that can be helped.

You obviously don't have to answer these questions for my sake, but these are things you want to consider in advertising this new venture or when pitching to people.
1) Got CBs with mix of V10-V100, something like 1 V10, 2 V100, and rest were mostly V20-V50. It was actually harder getting the V100 CBs cause the classes were so small and the firms did very specific things. I only did 1 V10 screener cause I didn’t think the other V10s would glance at me due to my grades. But you can bet I kicked myself in the butt after OCI for not trying more V10s.

2) Offers were V10-V50, in a similar ratio to CB firms.

3) No Offer was V50.

4) I wish I were attractive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dknightisyoung

New

Post by dknightisyoung » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Npret wrote:If OP wants to charge for interviewing, OP needs more proof of expertise. I haven’t seen it. Sure he might think he’s great at interviewing, but apparently half the firms he interviewed with didn’t agree.

OP needs more experience with interviewing before they start charging friends and classmates. OP is only a student that has had a handful of interviews at OCI. OP may think they are an expert, but they aren’t, not even
close. I did biglaw interviews for years and I don’t think I know enough to charge someone.

Of course OP can money off the people if OP wants to do so. That’s on OP.
Just one correction: I had 15+ CBs but only did 9 of them. Of the 9 CBs I actually went to I got 8 offers and 1 no offer. You’re right though I’m only a student and haven’t worked for years in recruiting or anything, and I plan on being fully upfront about this fact if I do end up charging.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:43 pm

BrainsyK wrote:I disagree with posters that say you shouldn't charge for coaching. It may not even only be for classmates--though you could certainly offer a classmate discount or something like that. It's a service. It's worth what people are willing to pay for it. It's important that you give yourself permission to make money. The only question should be whether or not it's worth paying for. A ~90% CB-->Offer rate is certainly good though.

#4 is so true. My cousin is considered by most to be 10/10 attractive. She's at one of UCLA/Vandy/UT, wayyyy below median and K-JD. She just landed at a V10 this past OCI at an office where she has no ties but just wanted to live there. She told me they had to get special permission because her GPA was wayy below the cutoffs. I'm happy for her but all I could do when she told me was roll my eyes :roll:

FWIW, OP, if I was back in law school, I would have paid for your services.

SGCLS

New

Post by SGCLS » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 pm

I am genuinely interested in interview coaching; I think there is a lack of law-specific coaches on the market so it'd be helpful if you did coach. I have sent you a friend request.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”