Are Applications (Informally) Confidential? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Are Applications (Informally) Confidential?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi all -- I have reached the end of my mental string with big-law and have decided to start applying to all sorts of jobs that I'm coming across. Some of these are definitely not that realistic, but I'm kind of at a "f- it, worst thing is they never respond" place right now. Which made wonder, is there an actual worse thing that I'm not considering. In TLSers' experiences, do companies/schools/etc. treat applications as confidential? I know they don't need to, but what are the chances of my cover letter being passed around by a group of people laughing that this idiot thought he could get this job and then eventually getting out beyond the company? I feel like I'm being paranoid, but also will be more humble with these applications if there's a real risk of lasting reputational harm.

cavalier1138

Re: Are Applications (Informally) Confidential?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what are the chances of my cover letter being passed around by a group of people laughing that this idiot thought he could get this job and then eventually getting out beyond the company?
I think the risk of that is pretty low. A more realistic concern is that if you list any references at your current job, they might get calls before they were aware you were looking for new work.

But tons of people apply for these positions. Trust me: no one remembers someone that they didn't pass up the chain for further consideration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:01 pm

I can't speak to the cover letter (although I doubt you have a credible fear) but I definitely encourage you to be bold when applying.

I'm at a very low prestige clerkship, with middling grades out of MVPN, and I've been shocked that I've somehow been getting screeners/callbacks (too early in the season for offers I think) at a bunch of the top tier lit boutiques that I really didn't think I had a shot at. I mostly applied (with very generic cover letters) because I was bored one night.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:12 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what are the chances of my cover letter being passed around by a group of people laughing that this idiot thought he could get this job and then eventually getting out beyond the company?
I think the risk of that is pretty low. A more realistic concern is that if you list any references at your current job, they might get calls before they were aware you were looking for new work.

But tons of people apply for these positions. Trust me: no one remembers someone that they didn't pass up the chain for further consideration.
Agree. Unless you're sending folks something like Elle Woods' video application to Harvard, the worst that's gonna happen is your resume never makes it out of the pile.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”