2L SA --> consulting recruiting during EIP as a 3L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L SA --> consulting recruiting during EIP as a 3L?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Current 2L at HLS. I did a biglaw SA my 1L summer (V20 firm, non-diversity) and accepted an offer to return for 2L summer. I've recently become interested in switching to consulting after talking to friends from undergrad who went that route. I had some interest in undergrad, too, but missed the standard recruiting period.

Would M, BCG, etc. recruit at our EIP next summer or is it more of a mass-mailing process? If it's the latter, when would be a good time to start? What are the chances at HLS with below-median grades, and how do they feel about rising 3Ls vs. rising 2Ls? Would the potential SA offer help with recruiting at all? I skimmed OCS' resources but couldn't find a whole lot of info about this. I did read somewhere on TLS that LSAT/SAT are considered.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L SA --> consulting recruiting during EIP as a 3L?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:53 pm

HLS Grad (2018) here. A few people from my year are working at M, and from what I know a lot of them got their jobs during 3L after doing SA at Biglaw. I think they applied directly to M, as they have continuous hiring process throughout the year. Go to their website and check careers website. (But when I went through EIP M, BCG were also recruiting at EIP for both 2Ls and 3Ls.)

I also applied to M when I was 1L and went all the way through to final stage of the interviews (3rd round) for a 1L summer internship. I got the impression that what I did before law school didn't really interest them; I can't imagine them being too impressed by your 1L SA. You just have to nail the case study interview (which to me was extremely hard) and be ready to answer intense question regarding your resume.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: 2L SA --> consulting recruiting during EIP as a 3L?

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:53 pm

If I'm reading your question correctly: No, you shouldn't resume drop for an EIP 2L summer position at McKinsey as a 3L. They're interviewing for summer interns, not for full-times lol. Your resume would get thrown in the trash and/or lead to a very awkward, very quick interview if they didn't notice your year when they skimmed the resume. Completely different process.

That said, I'm sure there's some sort of *separate* 3L OCI for consulting at HLS. They obviously recruit at the business school, and my law school had all the big consultancies doing info sessions and everything. Ask OCS directly. As for your chances - I have no idea how they view an essentially average/below average HLS student. (A 1L and 2L SA isn't going to impress them.) You're going to need to prepare - heavily - for the case interviews, though. This isn't going to be an SA interview where you chit-chat for 30 min. Read Case in Point. Practice, practice, practice, hopefully with other people interested in consulting. Maybe HBS has a club for it, IDK.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”