Resume formats for government and in-house Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume formats for government and in-house

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:12 am

I'm currently looking to jump ship ASAP from a nightmare biglaw environment. Just became a third year. I'm sending out apps to in-house places as well as city/state/county government jobs. I'll pretty much take what I can get at this point.

As I was putting together my resume, some questions came to mind:

(1) To confirm, is it the general rule that resumes submitted to gov shouldn't include an interests section?
(2) Does the same rule apply to resumes submitted for in-house jobs?
(3) Are there other big differences to be aware of when submitting resumes to gov/in-house positions as opposed to biglaw? For example, is it expected to have a summary section, longer job descriptions, etc.

(Anon because my coworkers would probably be able to figure out who I am based on posting history.)

Appreciate any and all insight. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Resume formats for government and in-house

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:12 am

I have included brief interests sections in my resume for AUSA jobs, and think that in general a resume for that job isn’t really different from any other legal job. I don’t know whether USAOs are different from any other agency in this respect, but I think at least for litigation positions, lawyer-ness trumps government-ness, if that makes any sense. (I don’t think it will hurt you not to include an interests section, it just didn’t hurt me to do so.)

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:00 am

This is also a good time to Ask a Recruiter for resume and language samples. They should have a bunch ready to send.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:40 pm

OP here. Thanks, that’s helpful. Re: recruiters—would you use them for in-house or government hiring? They seem like they’re mostly for biglaw, which is what I’m trying to get out of.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 pm

It’s easier for them to place people in other biglaw shops for sure but there are plenty that place people in house too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”