USAO Appellate Exit Opportunities Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO Appellate Exit Opportunities

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 pm

This is a somewhat strange question but figured I would ask. If you were to work in a USAO office in their appellate division (not one of the very prestigious districts), what would your exit opps be? Would big city firms be interested, or would the regional office confine you to that region mostly? Appellate being a somewhat niche practice, I'm curious if your USAO experience would be highly valued by firms...

Anonymous User

Re: USAO Appellate Exit Opportunities

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is a somewhat strange question but figured I would ask. If you were to work in a USAO office in their appellate division (not one of the very prestigious districts), what would your exit opps be? Would big city firms be interested, or would the regional office confine you to that region mostly? Appellate being a somewhat niche practice, I'm curious if your USAO experience would be highly valued by firms...
I've seen some chiefs of the appellate units in competitive districts get offers at firms, but generally they were pretty good line AUSAs before becoming Chief. I think most firms either get talent from the SGs office or clerks to handle appellate work. I don't think they're looking to USAOs to handle their appellate work. That being said, if you do a significant number of arguments + your writing is phenomenal, that might be enough to position yourself. I think it is sort of a case by case thing.

Anonymous User

Re: USAO Appellate Exit Opportunities

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pm

I know people who’ve gone on to be judges on the strength of appellate USAO work, but obviously that’s further down the line.

All the USAO appellate gurus I know love the job, though, and don’t seem to want to leave. I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”