Post-Clerkship Firm Interviewing with Accepted SA Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
m27

Bronze

Post-Clerkship Firm Interviewing with Accepted SA Offer

Post by m27 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:47 pm

I'm currently clerking for a district court judge in a major market. I have to start thinking about whether I want to return to the V30 firm I accepted my SA offer at, or interview around for a better firm with better exit opportunities. Personally, I want to go to a different firm that would put me in the best position to go into government, such as a litigation boutique or V10 with a prominent litigation group. However, my school's career services office told me that I should stick with the V30 firm and not rescind my acceptance for reputational reasons; but if I do want to start interviewing around, I should preemptively rescind. Is this the norm? I think my school is missing the mark with that advice, so I'm wondering what is the best way interview for post-clerkship positions with an accepted SA offer in hand. Any other insight, especially from those who were/are in a similar situation, would be appreciated. Thanks!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Re: Post-Clerkship Firm Interviewing with Accepted SA Offer

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Your career services is giving you terrible advice, probably because they're worried that it'll hurt the school's reputation if you renege. Ignore them and interview (discreetly). Full-time associates don't quit their jobs before interviewing for lateral opportunities - same idea here.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:12 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:Your career services is giving you terrible advice, probably because they're worried that it'll hurt the school's reputation if you renege. Ignore them and interview (discreetly). Full-time associates don't quit their jobs before interviewing for lateral opportunities - same idea here.
I agree that you should do it discreetly, but I think there’s a difference between accepting an offer and rescinding v. lateraling discreetly.

You’re going to have to blatantly lie to these firms and say you haven’t accepted an offer to return to your firm. If you’re willing to take that risk, so be it.

Just something to consider. I doubt anyone really cares enough to confirm, but they may bring up that question.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm

2013 wrote: You’re going to have to blatantly lie to these firms and say you haven’t accepted an offer to return to your firm. If you’re willing to take that risk, so be it.
Not sure this is true. They may ask if you were given an offer at your SA firm, and ask why you don't want to go back, but I doubt they would specifically ask if you accepted the SA firm offer. Just be honest and say that you did receive an offer, but you are exploring your options because of X, Y, and Z reasons.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:20 pm

2013 wrote:
LBJ's Hair wrote:Your career services is giving you terrible advice, probably because they're worried that it'll hurt the school's reputation if you renege. Ignore them and interview (discreetly). Full-time associates don't quit their jobs before interviewing for lateral opportunities - same idea here.
I agree that you should do it discreetly, but I think there’s a difference between accepting an offer and rescinding v. lateraling discreetly.

You’re going to have to blatantly lie to these firms and say you haven’t accepted an offer to return to your firm. If you’re willing to take that risk, so be it.

Just something to consider. I doubt anyone really cares enough to confirm, but they may bring up that question.
Firms will ask if you've *received* a return offer, but they're not likely to ask if you've *accepted* it. Why would they care?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”