Feedback in Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Feedback in Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:55 pm

First year v15 lit associate here, have had a decent amount of work so far, but beginning to slow down for the holidays I think. I don’t think there have been any egregious issues with my work, but can’t help being a bit of a neurotic rookie.

How does feedback typically work for biglaw juniors in lit? Will partners tell you if you’ve screwed up or just stop working with you?

Br3v

Gold

Re: Feedback in Biglaw

Post by Br3v » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First year v15 lit associate here, have had a decent amount of work so far, but beginning to slow down for the holidays I think. I don’t think there have been any egregious issues with my work, but can’t help being a bit of a neurotic rookie.

How does feedback typically work for biglaw juniors in lit? Will partners tell you if you’ve screwed up or just stop working with you?
If they keep giving you more work then they like you. It’s normal to slow down in December (as well as during the summer when everyone is away). Check back in during early Feb. For now, enjoy.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First year v15 lit associate here, have had a decent amount of work so far, but beginning to slow down for the holidays I think. I don’t think there have been any egregious issues with my work, but can’t help being a bit of a neurotic rookie.

People vary a lot, but the norm in my experience is not a lot of feedback outside of your formal annual review (though that process may vary a lot from firm to firm). An unfortunate reality is that for someone not invested in the younger lawyer’s success, it’s a lot easier on a few levels to just stop working with someone whose work you don’t like than provide helpful feedback.

That said, definitely do not worry that you are slowing down in December, especially as a stub year. You’re fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:58 pm

In my experience, a partner makes it very obvious if s/he is dissatisfied with your work. If you haven’t had that awkward interaction, I think you’re fine

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”