AUSA from tier three. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AUSA from tier three.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:38 pm

It’s possible. I am woefully out credentialed by my coworkers but...

I went to a top 150 law school. It was cheep and in the state capital. I made shitty grades first semester. I did not make law review. I did however work every semester and summer following 1l year. I was in a “small pond” and was able to get numerous state agency positions. I worked every connection I made. Best decision I made was to ask a local prosecutor to be my mentor. He hired me to be a “student attorney” after my 2l year. I did trials. It was a small office. The first day there I did a misdemeanor bench trial. I improved my grades each semester but was never in the top half of my class. I did not fuck around with the bar exam. Passed. Worked for prosecutor. Did dozens of bench trials and a couple jury trials in two years. Moved to the state AG office in criminal appeals. Did 50 plus briefs in a year and a half including death penalty work and federal habeas stuff. Applied to large city USA office. Denied. Applied to 20 plus USA offices all over country. Denied. Suddenly got six interviews set for one week (to be fair five were for different branches of same district). Got the offer at one. Took it. AUSA from shitty school. Did not do doj honors program. Did not do law review. Worked hard and smart. Just wanted to post this on here because I never saw it when chasing my dream.

Anonymous User

Re: AUSA from tier three.

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:34 am

Do you know what’s said about AUSAs from third tier schools?

They zealously and justly represent the interests of the United States. Congratulations! I still stare at placard on my door sometimes, and I’m just amazed.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”