Use recruiter as post-clerkship lateral for multiple mkts? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bella07

New

Use recruiter as post-clerkship lateral for multiple mkts?

Post by bella07 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:22 pm

I'm a 2014 T20 grad grad with 2+ years of fed clerking (first with senior DJ and, now, MJ). Before that I was at a 3-4 lawyer general practice firm in a secondary market (where I went to lawschool, stuck around for SO job) and was let go when it imploded. Right now I'm finishing my clerkship in Atlanta (I can waive into GA bar next year) but have family in DC and SO would prefer us living there. I had median grades, prior consulting WE, and my legal background is very PI/govt oriented but then when 2016 happened those dreams of going to DC and working for a fed agency were crushed and I took this 2nd clerkship to give myself time to adjust. So, yea, my resume is all over the place but mostly litigation, investigations and employment law.
Anyway, I've decided I want to be in Atlanta or DC at a large and stable firm making at least $180k the first year so I can pay off my loans. I'm not sure about partner track, given general attrition rates, but I don't need time off for kids or anything. My main thing is to be at a place that isn't toxic and over-leveraged (since I've got some PTSD from my first experience). I
'm deciding whether I should use recruiters. Some people say no, that it limits your options and I'm fine just cold-contacting alums at firms I identify and applying to openings as I see them. Others say recruiters make thing easier, especially at my stage and with the multiple markets I'm going after and the types of firms. I've been talking to a local recruiter (friend of friend) at an agency and she submitted for one place that seems good and where she was in-house. But she's not edited my cover letter or resume and that opening is a public one. Also I'm not convinced she knows much about DC market. I've talked to another recruiter (not in Atl or DC but litigated at a DC firm before she started her own recruiter biz) who is much more intense and hands on; told me my resume is not ok to send out, wants an exclusive recruiter relationship etc. She seems like she gives more a value-add and is better for DC. My question is, I have at least another 4 months to find my job, should i use a recruiter and if so, which one?

Npret

Gold

Re: Use recruiter as post-clerkship lateral for multiple mkts?

Post by Npret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:11 pm

bella07 wrote:I'm a 2014 T20 grad grad with 2+ years of fed clerking (first with senior DJ and, now, MJ). Before that I was at a 3-4 lawyer general practice firm in a secondary market (where I went to lawschool, stuck around for SO job) and was let go when it imploded. Right now I'm finishing my clerkship in Atlanta (I can waive into GA bar next year) but have family in DC and SO would prefer us living there. I had median grades, prior consulting WE, and my legal background is very PI/govt oriented but then when 2016 happened those dreams of going to DC and working for a fed agency were crushed and I took this 2nd clerkship to give myself time to adjust. So, yea, my resume is all over the place but mostly litigation, investigations and employment law.
Anyway, I've decided I want to be in Atlanta or DC at a large and stable firm making at least $180k the first year so I can pay off my loans. I'm not sure about partner track, given general attrition rates, but I don't need time off for kids or anything. My main thing is to be at a place that isn't toxic and over-leveraged (since I've got some PTSD from my first experience). I
'm deciding whether I should use recruiters. Some people say no, that it limits your options and I'm fine just cold-contacting alums at firms I identify and applying to openings as I see them. Others say recruiters make thing easier, especially at my stage and with the multiple markets I'm going after and the types of firms. I've been talking to a local recruiter (friend of friend) at an agency and she submitted for one place that seems good and where she was in-house. But she's not edited my cover letter or resume and that opening is a public one. Also I'm not convinced she knows much about DC market. I've talked to another recruiter (not in Atl or DC but litigated at a DC firm before she started her own recruiter biz) who is much more intense and hands on; told me my resume is not ok to send out, wants an exclusive recruiter relationship etc. She seems like she gives more a value-add and is better for DC. My question is, I have at least another 4 months to find my job, should I use a recruiter and if so, which one?
I can only give my personal view that it’s better to control your own applications and materials. Recruiters are notorious for sending in resumes without a lot of thought, not following up or being responsive, and then locking up their fee if you get a job.

I feel you are much better off putting in the effort to network and apply on your own.

You are better off controlling your material as you can make tweaks as needed and your resume won’t be spammed everywhere.

These are my general feelings, but I know it can be time consuming so you may need a good recruiter anyway. Four months is not a lot of time to find a new job.

Hopefully someone with similar credentials who is working in these markets can give you better advice.

Good luck.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”